NEIPA costing a fortune

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
I am not sure if it’s just my recipe, but should it cost close to $80-$90 to make a NEIPA? It’s really the hops consisting of Citra, Galaxy, Amarillo and Mosaic that are adding up, at about 17 oz. Those are in depend hops these days so maybe it’s just Supply and demand?

Buy your hops by the pound. Buying hops by the ounce is insanely expensive. Use what you need and then vacuum pack/freeze the rest until you need them again.

Hops by the ounce are just crazy. You could literally buy a pound of hops, throw half a pound in the garbage and it would still be cheaper than buying 8 ounces, 1 ounce at a time.

If you really feel you will never, ever use those hops again, you can often get somewhat better deals buying them in 4 ounce or 8 ounce quantities too. Just avoid buying by the ounce whenever possible.

Bulk grain also can make a big difference, harvesting and reusing yeast...... all of that cuts back $$$. Doing all of those things can easily get your price in the $25-$35 range for sure on a beer like that.

I paid about $17 for citra per pound a while back, but I got Azacca for $8 a pound so it depends on when you get them, and the demand for them.

I also buy grain by the sack ($35.00 per 50 pounds), so most beers are pretty affordable to make.

I shop the sales for hops and buy in bulk. The other thing that can really drop prices is to get grains in bulk. Our homebrew club does a buy from a local brewery twice a year. Base grains are 50 cents/lb.

If one can swing it - and use enough to justify it - buying grain, hops and adjuncts in bulk is a huge win when it comes to the bottom line cost - especially the hops.

BS2 says 10 gallons of the Treehouse Julius recipe costs me just under $80 - and that's if I actually bought yeast for that batch. As I almost always pitch from my ranching activities the real cost is basically a few hundred grams of propagation DME and a scoche of yeast nutrient - roughly $3.30 instead of the $20 for two fresh packs of Imperial A38 that have the cell counts to pitch without starters.

Add $7.50 for half a tank of propane and I'm getting close to $70 for a ten gallon batch of a bigly hopped brew. I can live with that :)

Cheers!

I don’t brew as much as I used to, this would give me reason to brew more [emoji4]

Back