Need your input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chia

Reaction score
a guy i know called me about a business he wants to open. he has several very good businesses going, but wants to do something original.

his idea is a private club that charges $25 a month or $250 a year. he wants to have a few all grain brew set ups and a biab/extract. He also wants Free Beer. since he will not have liquor license, he thinks that brewers will brew there for free, and folks will drop a little cash in a jar for supplies for the club (not just beer supplies). This is sort of skirting legal, but if it is a BYOB/ folks leaving beer for people to taste for bragging rights it might be ok. the building has 3 separate "bar areas" plus outside seating and brewing area.

a lot of guys don't have the space to brew, and a lot of other people want a place to stop and have a beer that is not MBC. we have one brewery in our town and it always full. so he thinks this will be a hit.

so would you join something like this? he is counting a higher class of people than i am. he thinks most folks will have 2 beers and leave.

So, a BOP with a twist of questionable legal grounding.

I think I'd get that last part squared away with the local regulators...

Cheers!

only good thing is that it is MO. so very liberal laws on booze....

Missouri is liberal on laws on booze? That surprises me, as it seems to be pretty restrictive to me!

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrewing-rights/statutes/Missouri/

Missouri statute § 311.055 allows for the home production of intoxicating liquor and the removal of homemade intoxicating liquor from the premise where brewed for personal or family use, including use at organized affairs, exhibitions, or competitions, such as home brewer contests, tastings, or judging.

I'd be very careful with the laws, as Missouri is really not know to be a "liberal state", and the "homebrew" definition would not be part of the law applicable in a club or public setting.

I do know folks in Chicago who have a homebrew club that owns some equipment and does allow brewing there, and tastings, but they comply with the letter of the law in their area.

In many states, "HOME"brew is defined as beer brewed in the home, and often cannot even be removed from that home in which it is brewed and taken into public. For example, in some states, I could not legally take bottles of my homebrew to a friend's house to to my boat or my campsite because it cannot be removed from the home it was brewed in.

I'd want to do some heavy research before joining that venture. You don't want to be on the wrong side of the law on this.

did not know that, i was thinking of how AB made Missouri rather liberal in how and where you can buy and drink beer. no blue laws, very few public drinking laws.

would have to be a daily competition!

Thanks Yoopers!

Back