Need to make a brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klcramer

Reaction score
I haven't brewed in a long time. I have been making wine regularly for the last 2 years. I will be going camping for a week with some friends at the end of July. I would like to make a brew for that trip. My friends are not everyday beer drinkers but when they drink beer it is nothing real exciting. I would like to make something that may spark their interest in home brewing. It would be nice to have a brew buddy again. My brew buddy moved away about 3 years ago. My crowd is more a wine crowd hence why I have been making wine for the last 2 years. I have some different wines to take on the trip but would like to make some beer also. Now I must say the only beers I have made have been extract brews. Any suggestions?

Nothing wrong with a good extract beer. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking, Cramer. Are you asking for a suggestion on style? Sounds like a good, basic pale ale would fit the bill.

a simple wheat always satisfies the non-beer crowd.

i like nothern brewers american wheat kit. its simple and pretty quick.

I'd go with a pale ale with 2oz of hops in the schedule. That's always easy to drink. I need to make some more myself,but too many recipes getting backed up. So many beers,so little fermenters...:D

Make a clone of a popular commercial craft brew such as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Something they will recognize as being "top shelf" beers from the restaurants or bars and then be blown away that you made it yourself.

Maybe a hefe; ready quick and lack of clarity in a finished beer not an issue.

If they don't like the yeast serve it as a kristallweizen.

thanks for the ideas. I like the idea of a Sierra Nevada and I like the wheat thought. Maybe I will do both.

If they are wine drinkers then hopefully this means they have a palette - i.e., not interested in BMC and can appreciate taste and complexity.

I would go with a dunkelweizen, something like the Weihenstephaner. Dark wheat complexity with the fruity/clove from the yeast - might be something they could appreciate. I've noticed it can take time for people to really appreciate hop flavor and bitterness.

Back