Need some ideas to use up old hops with Safbrew T58.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juno_Malone

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got a handful of hops that have been sitting in my freezer (vacuum sealed) for a year or so that I'd like to use up. I also have a couple packets of Safbrew T58 that are nearing expiration (never used this strain before), so I was thinking something like a Belgian pale ale/IPA or maybe a hoppy saison or hefeweizen? Here's what I've got:

Czech Saaz 1.75 oz 6.2% AA
UK Fuggle 0.8 oz 4.5% AA
Cluster 1.0 oz 8.1% AA
Styrian Goldings 1.0 oz 3.8% AA
Tettnang (US) 0.4 oz 3.5% AA
Magnum (leaf) 0.5 oz ~10% AA
Columbus 2.0 oz 13.4% AA
Amarillo 0.4 oz 7.7% AA
Sorachi Ace 0.9 oz 11.9% AA

I can get pretty much any common grain/malt from my LHBS. Any input on how/when to use this hops with Safbrew T58 to make a tasty brew would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

De Ranke XX Bitter is one of my favorite beers that I have tried recently. It is a very dry, very hoppy Belgian pale ale. I did some reading on it and found that it is brewed with T-58, supposedly with Brewers Gold and Hallertau. Simple grain bill, just Belgian pilsner malt and some sugar to raise the ABV to 6%. You could substitute a combination of Magnum, Cluster, Saaz, and Styrian Goldings to get something in a similar style.

De Ranke XX Bitter is one of my favorite beers that I have tried recently. It is a very dry, very hoppy Belgian pale ale. I did some reading on it and found that it is brewed with T-58, supposedly with Brewers Gold and Hallertau. Simple grain bill, just Belgian pilsner malt and some sugar to raise the ABV to 6%. You could substitute a combination of Magnum, Cluster, Saaz, and Styrian Goldings to get something in a similar style.

Hmm...that sounds delicious! Maybe something like:

12# Pilsner malt
1# Belgian clear candy sugar 0L

With 70% efficiency and 70% attenuation, that puts me at 5.4gal of 6.1% ABV beer. As far as the hops, maybe something along the lines of:

Magnum or Columbus bittering @ 60min to get ~50 IBUs?
Tettnang, Saaz, UK Fuggle, Styrian Goldings, Cluster as aroma hops to replace the Hallertau? Should probably narrow that down to two or three aroma varieties, any thoughts?
Would dry hopping this sort of beer be a good or bad move?

I don't think the Belgian styles traditionally dry hop. I am going to try a similar beer from a starter built up from dregs. My plan is to go with larger flavoring additions at 15 min. I would think prioritizing Saaz, Tettnang, and St. Goldings for a flavoring additions would work for you. Then again, dry hopping could be nice, just as long as you stay away from the Amarillo.

OK, here's what I've got so far. Any and all critique is appreciated. I'm not trying to exactly replicate De Ranke XX Bitter, but I feel like what I've got will be a pretty interesting hoppy Belgian pale/IPA:

Name: Experimental Belgian IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.3 gallons
Boil Size: 7.8 gallons
Efficiency: 67%
Est. OG: 1.063
Est. FG: 1.018
Est. ABV: 6%
SRM: 4
IBU: 72

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
12 lb American - Pilsner 37 1.8 92.3%
1 lb Belgian Candi Sugar - Clear/Blond (0L) 38 0 7.7%

Mash
4.5 gallon mash @ 149F for 60 minutes
5 gallon sparge @ 170F for 10 minutes
7.8 gallons collected pre-boil

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
1 oz Columbus Pellet 13.4 Boil 60 min 51.16
0.5 oz Magnum Leaf/Whole 11 Boil 60 min 19.09
0.5 oz Saaz Pellet 6.2 Boil 10 min 4.29
0.8 oz Fuggles Pellet 4.5 Boil 5 min 2.74
1.25 oz Saaz Pellet 6.2 Aroma 0 min
1 oz Styrian Goldings Pellet 3.8 Aroma 0 min
0.4 oz Tettnanger Pellet 3.5 Aroma 0 min

Other Ingredients
Amount Name Type Use Time
0.5 tsp Irish Moss Fining Boil 15 min.
0.25 tsp Fermax Other Boil 10 min.

Yeast
Safbrew T58 Specialty Ale - fermented ~68F

Thoughts? I might move all of the later hops back a bit - push the 10,5 min additions to 0, and move the 0 min additions to a 170F hopstand.

After having used T-58 for a half dozen beers, including side-by-side experiments with other belgisnish strains, I would recommend that you use it as follows:
1) forgot about it
2) order a packet of Safbrew Abbaye (for a more clean trappist ale) or Lallemand Abbaye (for a chimay-style flavor)

for only a few dollars, it isn't really worth using in my opinion -- it takes 2+ months of aging to become even drinkable to my palate, unfortunately. Others do enjoy it a lot more than I, this is just my opinion.
I have made an "ok" ale with t58, using saaz and celia/styrian golding.

After having used T-58 for a half dozen beers, including side-by-side experiments with other belgisnish strains, I would recommend that you use it as follows:
1) forgot about it
2) order a packet of Safbrew Abbaye (for a more clean trappist ale) or Lallemand Abbaye (for a chimay-style flavor)

for only a few dollars, it isn't really worth using in my opinion -- it takes 2+ months of aging to become even drinkable to my palate, unfortunately. Others do enjoy it a lot more than I, this is just my opinion.
I have made an "ok" ale with t58, using saaz and celia/styrian golding.

Hmm..that's disappointing to hear. The whole point of this was to use up some old hops and yeast, but if I can really make a much better beer by dropping $7 on some liquid yeast, I might have to go that route.

Depends on your personal preference. As I mentioned, some people like it more than I do, and it is still eventually drinkable for me with a good recipe -- just not my preference when compared to the newer belgian dry yeast offerings.

Back