Need some Ideas on a SMaSH brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewcephus

Reaction score
as the title states, I need some ideas/recipes for a smash brew. I have lots of new hops in and lots of grains.

What I have:
Grain-
50lbs of MO and Golden Promise, 75lbs of 2-row(i brew with 2-row all the time so this one is probably out)
various specialty malts, but being as this is a SMaSH brew, I would think those wouldn't matter
Hops-
1 lb Falconers Flight
1 lb Amarillo
1 lb Mosaic
2 lb Cascade
1 lb Pallisade
1 lb 7Cs
1 lb Simcoe
2 lb Nugget
2 lb Citra
Centennial, Willamette, Summit, Warrior, and a few others in various amounts.

I usually do 10g batches and am looking for a few ideas on my next couple brews. I currently have a black IPA on tap with another 5g keg in waiting so I'm looking for some other ideas for my new 4 tap keezer.

Thanks,
Brew

Last edited:
Id go with golden promise and either Simcoe/Mosiac/Amarillo.

Use the whole pound and hopstand the crap out of it

I was thinking Golden Promise for sure, still not certain on the hop bill.

Btw, m00ps, I come through your area often as I have family that live in Fancy Farm :)

really? I need more homebrew friends. Feel free to stop by, Ive got an alarming amount of homebrew sitting around. I also managed to convince the brewery down the street to work with me

really? I need more homebrew friends. Feel free to stop by, Ive got an alarming amount of homebrew sitting around. I also managed to convince the brewery down the street to work with me

I'll def give you a shout next time I'm headed that way. Only make the trip once/twice a year, but I'm always up to visit a fellow homebrewer! :tank:

Founders did a beer called "Mosaic Promise" that was a really awesome SMaSH. Personally I'm a huge fan of Amarillo, and I really like all of the UK pale malts. What yeast are you going to use? My club is doing a SMaSH project right now and we are all using 1098 to boost the malt flavor.

I head up there at least once a year for a 10 hour foot race called Run Under The Stars 10 Hour Endurance Run. Since I started brewing in June I have a crazy amount of beer at my home too. I think I'm going to load up and bring a lot to the race this coming year. I think you're like 4 hours away, that's a short drive for me.

Anyways GP sounds like the way to go. I think I'd have to go with cascade.

First off, sorry its taken so long to get back to this thread.

What yeast are you going to use?

Probably going to use US-05 seeing as how its what I have on hand currently and I've been too lazy to make a proper starter from the liquid yeast that I have in my fridge.

So, I made a recipe in Beersmith this morning and it looks something like this. Keep in mind that this is for a 10g batch:

22lbs GP
1oz Mosaic 60mins
3oz Mosaic 10mins
3oz Mosaic FO/Whirlpool

4oz Mosaic Dryhop

This is the first SMaSH brew I've ever done and would really like to not have 10g of beer that I don't want to drink(never poured a beer out to date, not to say that I haven't had one that I didn't particularly care for).

First off, sorry its taken so long to get back to this thread.

Probably going to use US-05 seeing as how its what I have on hand currently and I've been too lazy to make a proper starter from the liquid yeast that I have in my fridge.

So, I made a recipe in Beersmith this morning and it looks something like this. Keep in mind that this is for a 10g batch:

22lbs GP
1oz Mosaic 60mins
3oz Mosaic 10mins
3oz Mosaic FO/Whirlpool

4oz Mosaic Dryhop

This is the first SMaSH brew I've ever done and would really like to not have 10g of beer that I don't want to drink(never poured a beer out to date, not to say that I haven't had one that I didn't particularly care for).

I can't really help since I have never used Mosaic.

But you might consider doing two 5 gallon batches using Maris Otter and a different hop in the second batch to lessen the impact if you don't like one of them.

Well, I've had a mosaic IPA before and I really enjoyed it. Was just curious if I'm overdoing the hop schedule or if it looks ok?

Well, I've had a mosaic IPA before and I really enjoyed it. Was just curious if I'm overdoing the hop schedule or if it looks ok?

Looks good to me. Ive used mosaic a bunch. It really is pretty diverse. Hard to place into a single flavor category. I mostly get tropical berry fruit flavors, piney earthy edge. Not much in the realm of spice and floral notes. The smell of it comes off as more herbal/piney than the taste

I think Golden Promise and Cascade is a great combination. MO and Willamette is nice as well.

Brewed this up this weekend and it's fermenting away right now at a cozy 64*. Can't wait for this one to be done as it looked and smelled wonderful.

I think Golden Promise and Cascade is a great combination. MO and Willamette is nice as well.

Will likely do a MO/Willamette soon. Trying to get my new keezer full so my brew partner and I have lots of brews upcoming. Also have lots of old hops to use up so that we can get started on the new arrivals. :)

Back