Need some help with priming yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
I've got a frankenbrew that needs bottled. It's been sitting in the primary for about 4 months now and I assume fermentation is finished at this point. :cross:

I only bottle so it will be necessary to add some sort of yeast to this to ensure it carbs up like I want it too. And that is the heart of this puzzle. The OG was 1.123 and it is down to 1.010. My calculations has the ABV anywhere between about 14% and 17%. I need a yeast that will munch the corn sugar I intend to prime with and not simply die in horror of this environment.

I have on hand some CBC from Danstar and also some Redstar Champagne yeast. I'm not overly concerned about using the champagne yeast, if that is a viable option, because this beer was made with a healthy dose of raisins anyhow and smells something like wine already. Of course, I'll take a beer yeast over a wine yeast but I have to be real about this. I'll take an ensured carbonation over something that never carbs at all.

Also, I'm not limited to using the yeast I have on hand. I'll order something if I need to. After all, it's been 4 months in a primary, another week won't make any difference. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Just to be clear, I want to naturally bottle condition this. Kegging, while an ideal solution, isn't an option.

I've never made a beer that big and strong before, but with most beers, there's still enough yeast in suspension to carb it even after that long in the primary (got that t-shirt). So I would think you should be fine just bottling as usual. Someone with more experience with strong beers will give you a better opinion though.

But a couple other questions, is that style supposed to be carbed? And how long does it need to age in the bottles? A damn long time I would guess, so if you added more yeast, it would likely overcarb like crazy sitting in those bottles for 6 months to a year. Just my $0.02

I do big beers all of the time. This one is bit further over the top than most I brew. The beer is something like a DFH raison barleywine beer they make occasionally. It is meant to be carbonated. As with most of my larger beers, I do expect a long conditioning period. I've found that bottle conditioning has taken over 6 months for some of my wilder barleywines if I don't introduce a bottling yeast.

Over carbonation isn't a worry at all. Anything that yeast will eat has been eaten. My concern is how to get yeast to eat again.

Why risk it after all that time and effort (not to mention what had to be a king's ransom worth of ingredients)? Pitch a half packet at bottling for peace of mind. I have had great results using CBC-1. Never tried champagne yeast, but that would work too. Your beer's flavor profile was set long ago in primary, and bottling yeast shouldn't alter that. I don't think it really matters what you use for bottling, as long as the strain can handle the ABV.

After 4 months in that harsh an environment, I wouldn't expect there to be much live yeast left. I'd just use a bit of champagne yeast for the best chances at solid carbonation.

I decided I'm going to pitch some champagne yeast. I have a couple packets of the Red Star stuff, the one in the yellow pack. I'll pitch one of those in at bottling.

Back