Need some help on how to add sugar after pitched yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eluterio

Reaction score
Long story short, I missed my OG by a mile. Tried to do a batch sparge method preboil gravity must have been incorrect and my post boil was lower. I finished off with a 1.026 gravity and was looking to hit a 1.046. According to beer smith If I added 3.4 ounces I would achieve this.

My question is how to add it to the already pitched wort. Do I just add straight cane sugar into it or do I boil some water add the sugar dissolve it then add? I cant seem to find anything that answers this.

I plan on using the yeast slurry for my next batch would adding sugar do anything to the yeast for the next batch?

Im not really worried about the flavor I used a new hop and was trying to make a lower gravity beer and tons of hops. Wanted to see what the hops were like.

Thanks anyone!

Before you do that, what was the approximate temperature of your wort when you threw your hydrometer in to measure? If it was hot then your reading will be way off.

Sugar is going to dry out the beer a bit. 3.4 ounces doesn't seem to sound right if you want to bump your OG from 1.026 to 1.046. However, I would boil the sugar in very little water, let it cool and throw it in. I don't think you'll have an issue with your yeast for the next batch.

I'm just not convinced that you missed your OG by that much. Was your post-boil volume spot on?

Before you do that, what was the approximate temperature of your wort when you threw your hydrometer in to measure? If it was hot then your reading will be way off.

Sugar is going to dry out the beer a bit. 3.4 ounces doesn't seem to sound right if you want to bump your OG from 1.026 to 1.046. However, I would boil the sugar in very little water, let it cool and throw it in. I don't think you'll have an issue with your yeast for the next batch.

I'm just not convinced that you missed your OG by that much. Was your post-boil volume spot on?

Sorry it was a late night brewing should have proof read my post. My temp was 60 and my hydrometers are calibrated every 3 months, just did it. When I checked pre boil I used a refract and tested it twice after stirring the wort. Got a 1.033 reading which I was just fine with, apparently i did something wrong.

Sorry 3 lbs, 4 oz. and my post vol was spot on 8 gallons was my mark. I tried doing the batch sparge method for the first time to try, I usually fly sparge everything and usually hit my numbers or im with in 2 points.

Im not bothered if it drys out but curious how it will effect the hops on flavor and aroma.

So, im safe to boil the sugar then add it into the fermentor. What would happen if I just add the sugar straight?

Thanks for the reply really helpful.

If you tested the O.G. at room temp at got 1.026, adding over 3lbs (I'm assuming this would be over 20% fermentable from your grain bill) would definitely thin/dry out the end product. You would basically be adding water and alcohol that would dilute the maltiness while the hops would retain their character. IMO, the balance would be significantly worse than it already may seem.

You're talking a nearly 0.020 jump with just sugar in an already low ABV beer.

I would be hesitant to add anything beyond 20% as the EtOH produced my compete with the already thin and light malt flavor produced. I had a similar scenario with a American IPA that went from 1.064 estimated to 1.044 calculated O.G. Very little maltiness. All hops with poor balance. I added ~10% table sugar and it still ended with barely any grain flavor. My understanding is more sugar also increases the chances of fusols.

You can boil any sugar you want, cool it, and add to the fermentor without any worries. But again, my biggest concern would be the amount of sugar added.

Anybody given any thoughts to another small mash to retain the malt profile?

Latest posts

Back