Need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagwag

Reaction score
Starting a apple cherry cider. Trying to play around with a good starting gravity. I want my end result to be around 7%, around 2.5 volumes in carb and want it to be a tiny bit on the dry side. Any advice on a good starting gravity, and why?

Starting a apple cherry cider. Trying to play around with a good starting gravity. I want my end result to be around 7%, around 2.5 volumes in carb and want it to be a tiny bit on the dry side. Any advice on a good starting gravity, and why?

1.055 would leave you with 7% if fermented dry to 1.000.

My cider comes out to 1.055 so thats where I would start with. I would not add cherry until the end.

How are you adding the cherry? Like mopar said, that's a good starting SG. Anywhere between 1.055-1.065. And adding the "cherry" towards the end is always better. You can always add it in the beginning especially if you're planning on racking, and then definitely add more cherry for secondary. That's how I would do it.

That's what I did. Added 32oz cherry purée, that put my OG at 1.06. Let it ferment to 1.01. Rack it, possibly filter it as well.

That's what I did. Added 32oz cherry purée, that put my OG at 1.06. Let it ferment to 1.01. Rack it, possibly filter it as well.

Flavor is often lost from primary fermenting, if you really want the cherry in there, you need to add it to the secondary or even flat out back-sweeten with it before bottle (and treating to avoid bombs).

It still sounds that you added it to the primary, where most of your flavor will be lost.

Latest posts

Back