Need quick advice if possible - starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I am making a left hand milk Stout clone today. Matter-of-fact I am right in the middle of it. I made a starter and put it in the refrigerator overnight to separate out so I can decant it. Unfortunately it didn't separate out enough and decanting would be useless at this point.

My issue is that I have a 2 liter starter made with a light DME. If I add this entire starter to my 5 1/2 gallons of stout, is it going to change the flavor too much? Should I just go with a dry packet at this point?

Thank you for the quick turnaround!

Since you went through the steps of making a starter I would just pitch it in, the 2 liters won't be a big deal. Also, there is no problem pitching the starter cold so leave it in the fridge until you are completely ready to add it, you can even wait a bit after chilling if the extra time helps to get the starter to clear, then decant and pitch.

duboman said:
Since you went through the steps of making a starter I would just pitch it in, the 2 liters won't be a big deal. Also, there is no problem pitching the starter cold so leave it in the fridge until you are completely ready to add it, you can even wait a bit after chilling if the extra time helps to get the starter to clear, then decant and pitch.

Thank you much! I appreciate the feedback!

Back