Need Personal Opinions On Set Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
I cant seem to decide if I want 2 taps of should go for the cheaper single tap, Do you guys feel like having 2 beers on tap or more is a necessity? I mean 5 gallons ain't much beer to get tired of the same thing imo. Looking for some opinions on this.

Two taps is probably the more future-proof solution here. You will inevitably have two kegs that you'd like to show off at the same time, and hurriedly switching a tap between kegs just isn't the best party trick. If you've got the budget, you won't be disappointed having more taps.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

More taps is more variety. I would go as big as your budget and space allows.

If you have one, you'll want two.

If you have two, you'll want three.

If you have three...

You'll definitely want four.

I had an old summit kegerator from the late 90s. Used to just run commercial half barrels through it. When I went to homebrewing I purchased a new 3 tap tower for it. I can just barely get 3 kegs in it because the compressor is on the top in the back. I need the 1 handle kegs to go in the back and everything just squeezes in.

Anyways, yeah, 3 is good, but the beer taster I am, it's never enough. I always try to do a nice variety. I usually have my Amber on tap because it's a good every day beer. Then an IPA because it's the popular flavor and well, I like them as well. The third spot usually gets something more robust, porter, brown ale, etc. that usually take a bit longer to consume because they are more sipping beers than hard drinkers.

So I inevitably wish I had at least one more tap, to keep something lighter on hand. APA, cream ale, Hopefully lager soon. Either way, in the summer, when I have a more lawnmower style beer on tap, I wish I had room for the darker genre, to sip with a nice cigar.

And now we have a couple of local breweries that will fill cornies for you and it would be great to have some other local flavor on tap as well.

Essentially, yeah, it's an addiction. Whatever you have is never enough.

Ok, 4 right now is out of the question because of space. 2 I can swing. I did the math and if i get a 2 system with kegs its 80$ more then just the single with keg. So i would have a replacement tap and keg for just under 100$. seems like a plan.

You won't regret that decision. When you score a used freezer, make sure it is wide enough to handle your inevitable expansion and has a Drain Plug. I hate cleaning out my 3 tap keezer, when I know if I only converted my larger fermentation freezer, I could take advantage of the drain plug feature at the base and fit more kegs.

Had the same debate with myself 6 months ago. Decided to go with two taps instead of one and I'm glad I did. I'm buying a third soon but until then the third keg gets the picnic tap.

The best piece of advice I got was buy quality (stainless steel) taps and a good regulator.

I figure If I don't use the second tap I will have a replacement tap and second keg for back up beer anyways. I bought it all today and got 2 new ball lock kegs ( was like 80$ difference from used so I decided why not after reading they seal better and are 125$ new each ), 10 gallon co2 tank , the entire line set ups, 2 taps, regulator, tax and shipping for just under 400$.

Also put add on kijiji for used ball lock kegs trying to score some cheap extras, I have 65 gallons of beer and cider in the works and bottles were so time consuming and if I bought them all it would have costed close to the same as the kegging system with 2 kegs, worse case it i quite brewing i can get the local brewery to fill my kegs and save some cash!

Back