Need opinion on my first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikerada6

Reaction score
I have brewed a couple of the recipes found on this forum and other sites and i think i am ready to brew a recipe of my own creation. I was hoping ot get some advice from the members here. I am looking for a strong beer with a strong nose and a full-body sweet malty taste. Below is my recipe. Let me know what you all think :mug:

Grain Bill:
13 lbs 2-Row Belgium Pilsner Malt
2 lbs Caramel Wheat Malt
1 lb Aromatic Malt

Hops:
.75oz Hallertau Magnum 60 min
.5oz Amarillo - 15 min
.5oz Amarillo - 5 min
.5 oz Orange Peel, Sweet - 5 min

Mash:
20 qt of water at 122 for 30 min
Raise to 156 for 30 min
Mash Out at 168

Yeast:
Belgian Golden Ale (White Labs #WLP570)

Target OG: 1.083
Target FG: 1.023

Let me know what you all think. Thanks

You will probably like what you have there. It seems self described well. I would move my protein rest to 131-132. Also if you want more complexity I have had good luck using more crystal/ roasted and dropping the conversion temp. It's up to you. Looks good.

I have brewed a couple of the recipes found on this forum and other sites and i think i am ready to brew a recipe of my own creation. I was hoping ot get some advice from the members here. I am looking for a strong beer with a strong nose and a full-body sweet malty taste. Below is my recipe. Let me know what you all think :mug:

Grain Bill:
13 lbs 2-Row Belgium Pilsner Malt
2 lbs Caramel Wheat Malt
1 lb Aromatic Malt

Hops:
.75oz Hallertau Magnum 60 min
.5oz Amarillo - 15 min
.5oz Amarillo - 5 min
.5 oz Orange Peel, Sweet - 5 min

Mash:
20 qt of water at 122 for 30 min
Raise to 156 for 30 min
Mash Out at 168

Yeast:
Belgian Golden Ale (White Labs #WLP570)

Target OG: 1.083
Target FG: 1.023

Let me know what you all think. Thanks

You're grain bill looks fine I think. But, and it's just me personally speaking and no offense given, I would use saaz hops instead of Amarillo. Hallertau and saaz are both of the noble hop family. To me they should remain together for a belgian beer. You didn't talk about your fermentation temperature though. And will you secondary ferment as well?

Back