Need ideas for making an extract kit more interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LemonJelly

Reaction score
I recently bought a American wheat beer kit from Northern Brewer because of deal they had going on. I was wondering if there was anything I could add to make it more interesting. The kit consists of
6 lbs Wheat malt syrup
1 oz Willamette
1 oz Cascade
I can't really decide if I want to go a hoppy route (Gumball head) or maybe add a bunch of fruit to it for a nice summer beer. Also, any specialty malts I could add to make it more complex? Appreciate any ideas.

you could add some flaked or white wheat, or even some light crystal malt (10-20L 1/4-1/2lbs). I would also consider experimenting with some different yeast strains as well. as for fruit you can add pretty much anything, or do a dry hop if you do decide to go hoppy

I know you don't want to go hoppy, but 1 oz of citra at flameout might be good just to edge it towards tropical. Otherwise, the fruits listed above are good. You could try dried fruits like rose hips too.

Thanks for all the ideas guys! I most likely will be using the fruit puree, simply because of cost and availability of fresh organic fruit in my area at this time of the year. There seems to be so many different methods to use though some say add right away during primary, some say 2 weeks in secondary, and some even say 1 to 3 months secondary. I was also thinking maybe I should save the fruit for a better grain bill...it sounds like a good chuck of money to invest in a very simple grain bill, that could possibly come out mediocre. So maybe a better hop bill would be a better bet. decisions... decisions...

the wheat malt extract won't be a simple grain bill. in fact, being extract, it will likely end at somewhere near the 1.013-1.016 range. So you're gonna be left with some residual sweetness, and if you read the package they likely used base malt, wheat malt, and probably some carapils. As far as that goes, you're gonna be fine.
As far as the fruit goes, i don't have much experience on that, although there are many people that will take an american wheat and squeeze a lemon into the glass. So I went with some lemon zest in secondary. I've split that batch and have strawberries on the second one. Hasn't been bottled yet, but it's seems to be a very popular route. So any fruit route you go will likely be pretty good, especially if you go with something that is a bit more acidic, as that should help balance the residual sweetness you're gonna have pretty well.
But my favorite way to go with an american wheat is to dry hop it like a pale ale. it's my most asked for beer that i make. you could go get more cascade and dry hop with that, or you could pick up some cascade and some citra and that also makes a great combo. If you've ever heard of Boulevard, they have a hoppy wheat beer that they use nelson sauvin and cascade for dry hopping. It's one of my favorite commercial brews. combos i've tried are amarillo/citra, nelson sauvin/citra, and now cascade/citra.

half an ounce of dried sweet orange peel (5 min boil) would be good.

You could also steep some specialty grains - a little crystal malt, maybe some munich malt.

I use this exact recipe as the base beer for my Orange Honey Wheat. It is a fantastic summer beer (I drink it any time!), and has a nice complexity and amazing aroma to it. I've made 3 different batches, experimenting with the hop schedules and different honey. So far the first one I did is still my favorite and you can get the ingredients from your LHBS and any grocery store.

For 5 gallons add:
1oz coriander seed (crushed with a rolling pin) - 5 min
1oz dried bitter orange peel (doesn't add bitterness) - 5 min
1/2 lb Cheap over-the-counter Clover Honey (the bear works fine) - Flameout

I also add another 1/2lb directly into the Primary fermenter once the krausen drops, which kicks off a secondary fermentation. That leaves more honey aroma and flavor and boosts the abv slightly. Haven't had any infection issues going directly from bottle to kettle/fermenter without heating the honey. You could change it to Orange Blossom Honey, but from the one batch I did that, I found the difference in price wasn't worth the slight difference in flavor. :mug:

Thanks for all the ideas guys! I most likely will be using the fruit puree, simply because of cost and availability of fresh organic fruit in my area at this time of the year. There seems to be so many different methods to use though some say add right away during primary, some say 2 weeks in secondary, and some even say 1 to 3 months secondary. I was also thinking maybe I should save the fruit for a better grain bill...it sounds like a good chuck of money to invest in a very simple grain bill, that could possibly come out mediocre. So maybe a better hop bill would be a better bet. decisions... decisions...

From podcasts I've heard, the results totally favor adding frozen fruit directly to the secondary instead of making a puree. It was either the Basic Brewing guys or Jamil Show that did it, and I have never done a fruit beer, but they were convincing in that puree is not the best way. Hope that helps.

I would steep a little bit of honey malt ...maybe 1/4#
And maybe sonsome fruit in the secondary. Citrus zest or something to that effect.

I'll find out on the puree thing soon. I'm racking that same kit (as is) over a 3 poun can of the sweet cherry puree NB sells. I have done the same kit (as is) with a 16 ounce bottle of tart cherry concentrate for secondary and have also done that kit with 5 pounds of thawed (previously frozen) raspberries. The raz wheat and cherry wheats were both good, but I'm hoping the sweet cherry puree gives it a little less tartness. Experiment and see, right?

Not really one for fruit beers. Then wheat isn't necessarily a favorite. So I would probably go more hoppy with maybe a little honey. Funny because I want to brew a wheat. Maybe this will get me looking at the style and what I think it should be.

So I basically ordered the same kit. I will be replacing the cascade with mt. hood. And I'm thinking I'll probably change the hop schedule. 60 minutes - Willamette; 15 minutes - 1/2 oz Mt Hood; 1 minute - 1/2 oz Mt Hood.

I decided I haven't done a really basic recipe for a long time. This one looked good and will be ready fast. Get the kegs ready for the heat of summer.

Back