Need idea for belgian saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to brew a nice crisp ,spicy and fruity beer for christmas. I can only brew biab for now so I cant aim for a high abv. I only brewed smash ipa so I dont have any idea what yeast, hops and malt to use.

I am pretty set on a belgian/saison blend but I dont want any farmhouse taste.

Anyone have a nice receipe?

Thanks

What do you call 'Farmhouse' taste. Farmhouse Ale is a Saison.

I suspect you are talking about Brett favors. If that is the case, then don't use Brett as a secondary yeast.

How to brew a Saison: 10% Pils or 2-row, + 10% Wheat, maybe a little Munich ...... and many variations on that mix. No Crystal. Mash low (146 - 148 F).

Select what yeast you prefer. Check for a profile you like. Brett trois (not really Brett), 3711 (I don't like much) are really easy to use. Or any Belgian or fruity Saison yeasts.

Start fermentation around 70 F, and finish 80 - 85 F.

If you want it dry and crisp, add up to 20% plain table sugar during fermentation. 20% is not too high, I have added up to 30% before now.

Hops: English style (Goldings) to 25 IBUs, and maybe an ounce to finish. yeast is the star, hops need to be in the background.

Spices: Not really necessary, but if you use any, keep them subtle. If you can identify the spice in the final product, you have used too much. Some spices you could use (again go light), Grains of Paradise, Coriander, Orange Zest.

I generally get more satisfaction from brewing my own recipes, but will purchase kits on occasion when the price is right.

The only kit I have purchased more than once, is the Don't Be Mean to People Saison from Northern Brewer. (And, by more than once I mean 4 times.) Sort of a milder version of Brooklyn Sorachi Ace.

And, as good as it is, it's one of the cheapest kits I've ever bought.

Latest posts

Back