Need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outnumbered

Reaction score
So I got Mammoth Brewing companies Double Nut brown from their head brewer he gave me this recipe in % and I put it in hopville and got the following weights for each (6 gal batch)

78% gambrinus esb malt 30lbs
11% Dark Munich malt 4lbs 5 oz
5.5% Brown Malt 2lbs 6oz
5.5% Chocolate malt 2lbs 6 oz

Hopville also gave me a almost 15% abv but when you go to mammoth brewing web site there abv is 5.5%.

I am thinking I screwed up can you help me I love this beer and want to make it

So I got Mammoth Brewing companies Double Nut brown from their head brewer he gave me this recipe in % and I put it in hopville and got the following weights for each (6 gal batch)

78% gambrinus esb malt 30lbs
11% Dark Munich malt 4lbs 5 oz
5.5% Brown Malt 2lbs 6oz
5.5% Chocolate malt 2lbs 6 oz

Hopville also gave me a almost 15% abv but when you go to mammoth brewing web site there abv is 5.5%.

I am thinking I screwed up can you help me I love this beer and want to make it

That's definitely more than 6 gallons worth of ingredients. Scale it back, using the same %'s so that you end up with the 5.5% abv and you should be good.

Just quickly messing with Beersmith2 which i'm still fairly new at I come up with.
1) 10lbs. 1.9oz gambrinus 77.8%
2) 1lb. 7oz dark munich 11.1%
3) 11.5 oz Chocolate 5.5%
4) 11.5 oz Brown malt 5.5%
Estimated ABV 5.6%

Thanks for the help. I must be doing something wrong. I put it in brew target and got this for a 5.5 gal batch
17.5 lbs Gambrinus
2.5lbs Dark munich
1.25lbs brown malt
1.25lbs Chocolate malt

Thanks for the help. I must be doing something wrong. I put it in brew target and got this for a 5.5 gal batch
17.5 lbs Gambrinus
2.5lbs Dark munich
1.25lbs brown malt
1.25lbs Chocolate malt

20 pounds of grain is way too much for a 5.5g batch at 5.5% abv. When I use 20 pounds of grain I get 11% abv. I think Jafo28 has it right.

Wow. I'm not familiar with Hopville, but I plugged your percentages into a spreadsheet I created, and came up with very different weights. Assuming 55% efficiency, and a starting gravity of about 16 Plato (fermenting down to 3 would give 5.5% ABV):

78% of your base malt comes to about 12.25 lbs
11% of the Dark Munich about 1.9 lbs
5.5% of the other two is about .95 lbs.

In short, you may want to cut your weights at least in half.

You've screwed up converting the % to weight.
To calculate ABV, use the formula ABV = (OG - FG) * 131
Assuming you get 75% attenuation (which should be pretty accurate), OG - FG would be OG * 0.75
You know that ABV should be 5.5, so using substitution, you will get
5.5 = 0.75 * OG * 131
Rearranging this, you get
OG = 5.5 / 0.75 / 131 (you will need to add 1.000 to this to account for the gravity of water)
This gives a required OG of approximately 1.056, which matches jafo28's suggestion for a 6g batch.

-a.

You've screwed up converting the % to weight.
To calculate ABV, use the formula ABV = (OG - FG) * 131
Assuming you get 75% attenuation (which should be pretty accurate), OG - FG would be OG * 0.75
You know that ABV should be 5.5, so using substitution, you will get
5.5 = 0.75 * OG * 131
Rearranging this, you get
OG = 5.5 / 0.75 / 131 (you will need to add 1.000 to this to account for the gravity of water)
This gives a required OG of approximately 1.056, which matches jafo28's suggestion for a 6g batch.

-a.

Much simpler: OG = ABV. For a 5.5% beer, OG = 1.055. For a 7.2% beer, OG =1.072. (this assumes 76% attenuation by yeast).

Back