Need help third attemped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dissel

Reaction score
I have been trying to make kombucha in my boat. My first try at home was a success. the second time in tryid in the boat and the brew become developed mold. I attempted a third batch with my original SCOBY which I had in the fridge with about 1cup of kombucha. I had to take trip so I left it with a buddy of mine so he can take out the SCOBY and start the second fermentation at about 10 days but when it was time he told me that a second SCOBY had not formed on the surface. After a few more days a second a very thin layer appeared on the top but it did not grow much so I though it was another fail attempted. I had left it in the jar until today 20 day later. Today I go to discard the Kambucha but the layer on top was gone and when I took the original SCOBY out it look like there is a second one on it. Not sure if this is normal and after 20 days not sure what to do. I am afraid to even taste it. Color and smell looks good.
What would be your recommendation, discard it and start again ( I will need a new SCOBY) or go ahead and finish this batch?
Ph seems fine 3-4 and color and smell look ok too. I am attaching pics

WIN_20170510_10_27_52_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170510_10_07_50_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170510_10_07_37_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170510_10_07_26_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170510_10_01_37_Pro.jpg

You are fine. I've fermented kombucha for over 20 days and it turned out good. It just becomes more tart as it is eating more of the sugar. Your PH readings show that it was fermented. Taste it. You do not need to through out the 2 scobys, they look healthy to in the pictures..

Back