Need Help Reading a AHS Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTS

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if the recipe that I got from AHS is correct? seems that it only wants me to do a 30 min boil? I thought they were all an hour at least, going to need that to boil off 1.25g.

Also the reason i am asking is because it states no bittering hops, just flavor hops.

the recipe is the AHS Anniversary Wit

Thanks for any help

IMG_0517.jpg

Looks like a flub in the instructions to me. Usually they have a 60 min addition, but with the wit, you don't want much hop bitterness , so the 30 min addition sounds right. I think they just forgot to add the first step of start a timer for 60 mins at start of boil. If this is extract you could just do a 30 min boil, but you wouldn't want to start with 6.25 gallons.

The recipie is for 5.25 in the fermenter, so you only need to boil of 1 Gallon, not 1.25

Hey! I had the same problem with their All Grain Hibiscus Wheat.. I even let them know about it on Google+. First of course whoever they have running that tried to tell me to just follow the instructions "because it will be easier to diagnose when you call us for help".... Rude.

I went ahead and boiled for 30min before adding the 30min addition so that I would have a 1 hour boil like normal (otherwise I would have had 1/2 gallon too much wort and the OG would have been lower than expected due to reduce boil off time).

Go ahead and boil for 30min before adding your 30min flavor hops. It IS a mistake by them. Hopefully enough people will tell them about this to get it fixed.

Yep - there are usually a bittering addition in the empty box. Boil for 30 then start your hop additions.

I've made a similar recipe from AHS. I did what others have suggested and boiled for 30 minutes before doing the first addition (I was doing the all-grain version). It tasted great to me!

Thanks very much everyone!! that's what I thought but wanted to confirm. This is the all grain recipe and it is also my first one so should be interesting. I am going to add in 1/2 ounce of sweet orange peel also. the Mash temp of 150 seems low but I will go with it!

Thanks again all!

Another voice for "boil 60 mintes". Their template assumes a 60 minute boil - the hop/fermenable additions are based off of this. If no 60 minute addition, the directions become unclear.

I believe Forrest has posted on here before that YES, that is correct. I think he got that info from Pierre Celis too

Back