Need help finding 4 prong extension cord for brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
I recently moved and my new place isnt as nicely setup as my old place was. So I need to get an extension cord to reach my setup. Havent been able to find one easily, wondering if anyone knows where to get one at a decent price

The connectors and cable can be purchased and assembled into a custom length cord.

How long and what kind of " four-prong " connector?

Connectors are commonly available in the electronics section of most big box hardware stores. For example, I ran into an issue when putting up christmas lights this year around the house and wound up with a female end run to the outdoor power outlet. I had to make my own "male to male" connector by buying a cheap extension cord and wiring it up to a male connector plug.

That's what i'd suggest, if you can't find an off the shelf solution, hack your own by finding the right kind of plug you need and wiring it up yourself.

Also, check harbor freight in your area. They're more suited to contractors than the general public.

Connectors are commonly available in the electronics section of most big box hardware stores. For example, I ran into an issue when putting up christmas lights this year around the house and wound up with a female end run to the outdoor power outlet. I had to make my own "male to male" connector by buying a cheap extension cord and wiring it up to a male connector plug.

That's what i'd suggest, if you can't find an off the shelf solution, hack your own by finding the right kind of plug you need and wiring it up yourself.

Also, check harbor freight in your area. They're more suited to contractors than the general public.

"Male to male" power cables are an accident waiting to happen. I would figure out a way to reconfigure so that you cannot have a live set of male prongs.

"Male to male" power cables are an accident waiting to happen. I would figure out a way to reconfigure so that you cannot have a live set of male prongs.

+1
Those cords go by various names including "suicide cords" and
"widow-makers".

Im looking for the standard 220v 4 prong dryer plug, it has a L shape on the bottom prong and rounded on the top prong. All i need would be 6-10 feet. Was hoping not to have to pull out any tools and do the connections, as all my tools are packed in storage

I was hoping to not do any wiring, but looks like im gonna have to wire the female connector on. Thanks for all the info guys, gonna do a test run of my system to make sure it survived the move this weekend with just water and gonna see if I can get it close enough to the dryer to not need an extension cord. But my backup will be to get a dryer cord and female connector and just wire it together. Thanks

I was hoping to not do any wiring, but looks like im gonna have to wire the female connector on. Thanks for all the info guys, gonna do a test run of my system to make sure it survived the move this weekend with just water and gonna see if I can get it close enough to the dryer to not need an extension cord. But my backup will be to get a dryer cord and female connector and just wire it together. Thanks

Have you tried a RV or Camper supply store?

http://www.campingworld.com/search/...al&Ntk=primary&Nty=1&Ntpc=1&Ns=p_sort_default

Not sure what you need exactly but many times RVs and campers use 220V hookups rated at up to 50Amps.

As for tools to make your own. I get not wanting to dig stuff out of storage but you really don't need much. I could put an end on a cord like this with a screw driver and a utility knife. Well maybe a wire cutter as well but my point is that it isn't like you need a lot of tools and they are pretty common ones that if you don't dig them out for this quick task you might need them for something else sooner or later.

Back