Need help. - Einstein-Szilard fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inodoro_Pereyra

Reaction score
So, I've been googling my ass off for most of the day, trying to find any info on how to design/build an Einstein-Szilard absorption refrigerator, and found zip...:(

Does anybody here have any experience, or knows where I can find any info about it?

Thanks in advance.:)

i found this info:
Despite filing more than 45 patent applications in six different countries, none of Einstein and Szilard's alternative designs for refrigerators ever became a consumer product, although several were licensed, thereby providing a tidy bit of extra income for the scientists over the years. The prototypes were not energy efficient, and the Great Depression hit many potential manufacturers hard. But it was the introduction of a new non-toxic refrigerant, freon, in 1930 that spelled doom for the Einstein/Szilard refrigerator. The economics supported the freon-based mechanical compressor technology, and that's what most folks still use today.

The Einstein-Szilard Refrigerator
U.S. Patent 1,781,541
http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/uspat1781541/www/

Design Analysis of the Einstein Refrigeration Cycle
http://www.me.gatech.edu/energy/andy_phd/index.html

Good luck on the build.

I once saw where a teenage girl built a cooler for medication in remote parts of Africa that consisted of an inner chamber surrounded by dirt which was the middle layer. Holding the dirt in place was perforated metal. Place wetting the soil and putting it in the sun the inner chamber was cooled by the evaporation of the water.

I have often thought if I built one large enough if it could be used as a fermenter which could be left outside using the suns energy to cool.

Design Analysis of the Einstein Refrigeration Cycle
http://www.me.gatech.edu/energy/andy_phd/index.html

Good luck on the build.

Thank you 509. This link seems to be exactly what I was looking for.:rockin:
Either way, this is gonna be a long term project, and it depends on several external factors that, as of now, are not going that well (for example, money, money, and, among other things...money), but, if everything goes as planned, I should be able to increase the system's efficiency substantially, and the lack of moving parts and use of non toxic (or "not so toxic") gases make this system very appealing for the intended purpose.

To give you a rough idea what I'm thinking, I want to make a wort chiller. But I'm thinking of using the hot wort (passing it through a heat exchanger) to preheat the system water, which should drive the efficiency way up, and help cool the wort faster. Of course, so far is just an idea that came to me last night, so I need to do a whole lot of research before it eventually becomes a reality, but if it does work as expected, I should be able to cool the wort really fast, without having to deal with water or any other external sources (other than some electricity for a little heating element, and the wort pump).

Have you tried an online patent search?

I did. I actually saw 509's first link. But what I was looking for was a more complete explanation of the whole process, so I could design my own. I'm definitely not Einstein, so I doubt I'd be able to figure it out with just the patent...:D

Thank you guys. Now I have something to work with.:mug:

Back