Need help choosing methods!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David20Hersch

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and have decided to do all grain brewing! But I am confused about which setup to use.

I have two options:
1-mashing in a cooler mashtun
2-mashing in the boil kettle and sparging in a BIAB sack

What I think is best is to mash in the boil kettle. This will give me control over the mash temp, plus this method would allow me to decoct and step mash in the future. Then I would dump the mash into a bottling bucket with a spigot and BIAB sack and sparge the snockers out of it for full efficiency. As long as I do a good job at keeping the mash temp right in the boil kettle with a bit of flame here and there I think this mashing set up would be better. It would allow me to diversify in the future?

or !! would it be better to stick to the cooler mash tun (keep it simple stupid?)

all tips are much appreciated!!! about to invest some dough in a setup!!

Both methods work equally well. Pick the one that best suits you and the process you want to develop. I would recommend trying both and deciding which you prefer. It may be that you prefer one method for certain beers and another method for other beers - this is not unusual.

Decoction would be no easier with BIAB than it would with a cooler mashtun. You still need to remove a PORTION of the grist and decoct in a separate pot regardless of method chosen.

or !! would it be better to stick to the cooler mash tun (keep it simple stupid?)

I think you've got it confused... BIAB is about as simple as you can get. For higher efficiency, crush the bejeezus out of your grain.

Also hope no one is looking over my shoulder:

Capture.JPG

I am new to brewing and have decided to do all grain brewing! But I am confused about which setup to use.

I have two options:
1-mashing in a cooler mashtun
2-mashing in the boil kettle and sparging in a BIAB sack

What I think is best is to mash in the boil kettle. This will give me control over the mash temp, plus this method would allow me to decoct and step mash in the future. Then I would dump the mash into a bottling bucket with a spigot and BIAB sack and sparge the snockers out of it for full efficiency. As long as I do a good job at keeping the mash temp right in the boil kettle with a bit of flame here and there I think this mashing set up would be better. It would allow me to diversify in the future?

all tips are much appreciated!!! about to invest some dough in a setup!!

As an alternative you could line the cooler mash tun with the bag and install a spigot on the cooler. That way you can do all your mashing in one vessel. Much simpler and less messy.

I like the BIAB approach as I suit's my needs and the results are to my liking. See my methods in my thread below. You might see some things you could apply to your own setup. Best of luck

When doing BIAB if you do full boil volume for the mash you won't need to sparge, you'll typically get very high mash efficiency, better than with a cooler tun.

However a cooler tun will give you more stable mash temps, once you have you doughing technique right you can get the starting temp with 0.1C, then will a few blankets on top and some bubble wrap around the tap your only lose about 0.5C over an hour, during which time you can RDWHAHB, or in my case a cup o tea. A 60 min break in the middle of brew day is welcome imo.

With the BIAB method you need to monitor and adjust the temp thoughout the mash if you want a stable mash temp, expect to lose 4C over an hour even if you wrap it in blankets. Also it is easier to overshoot the target temperature, especially if you forget to switch the burner off. This can be mitigated in to ways, by using an SS insulated brew kettle (so you don't have to reheat mid mash) fitted with a ball value so that you can heat to temperature whilst recirculating water at the bottom of the brew kettle by hand to the top to get a even temp across the grain bed.

The other thing to consider is lifting the bag out of the kettle, it will be heavy, it will be hot and it will be needed to drain/squeezed. Many people use a turkey fryer cage fitted to a crane. You might think you do it by hand for the first few brews after that your'll get feed up of risk you back and burning your hands. This is extra expense especially in the states where coolers are dirt cheap.

You will also have less clarity of wort at the start of the boil with BIAB because you can't vaulof. I don't think this has much effect on the finished beer if any.

Best way to decide is to try both. However, if you already have a kettle, get a BIAB bag and give it a shot. A cooler with all the apparatus to mash (spigot, false bottom) is a few bucks. If you're not satisfied with BIAB, then you can go for the cooler.

I started with a cooler but now do BIAB directly in the kettle exclusively, although I occasionally mash in a bag in the cooler, then transfer to the kettle for boiling - just because I had the gear. I wanted to try it.

In my opinion, the cooler mash tun is perfectly fine but not as convenient to use as BIAB in a direct-fired kettle.

I've tried both. BIAB is simpler and uses less equipment. The mash tun lets me do larger batches.

With my equipment I can only do a 3gal batch of moderate gravity beer with BIAB. With my mash tun I can do whatever gravity I want. Your equipment may differ.

For both processes I do a single infusion mash. For the BIAB I put the lid on the kettle and wrap it with towels. The temp only drops 1-2F during the 60 min mash. I get the same temp results from my cooler-turned-mash-tun. The only reason to apply flame or hotter water would be for a step mash.

I do BIAB. It's super easy. Clean up is fast. If you have your own grain mill you are set. I have a 10 gallon kettle and I can make anything I want.

EDIT:

What I usually do is mash in the bag in my kettle. Then I drain off as much as I can at the end of the mash into one of my buckets. Then I dump about 2 gallons of hot (165-170F) water back on top of the grain bag. Soak, slosh around, and then lift the grain bag to drain until it's done. Then I dump the first runnings back on top of this and start my boil. I always have really good efficiency doing it this way.

Try BIAB first, then if you don't like it, you can buy a cooler and make a mash tun. If you like BIAB, then you saved a couple of bucks.

Lifting the bag out of the kettle and holding it long enough to drain well is the part that gives some people trouble. A simple pulley, hung from a step ladder or eye-bolt in a beam, makes bag lifting a none issue.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks for all the speedy replies and answers, much appreciated!!

If I mash in the kettle and use the BIAB it would allow me to do protein rests! If I ever need to. Seems easier to accomplish protein rests while mashing in the boil kettle.

If I do end up going with the cooler tun how do I manage to do protein rests??????

Thanks for all the speedy replies and answers, much appreciated!!

If I mash in the kettle and use the BIAB it would allow me to do protein rests! If I ever need to. Seems easier to accomplish protein rests while mashing in the boil kettle.

If I do end up going with the cooler tun how do I manage to do protein rests??????

Protein rest in a cooler requires a second infusion step. Do initial dough in fairly thick at the protein rest temp. Then add enough boiling water (and stir) to bring the mash up to saccharification rest temp. Your favorite brewer's software can calculate the proper strike volumes and temps for you. I mash in my BK, but do multiple infusions when I need a protein rest, since it's difficult to get temp right using direct heating with my equipment configuration.

Brew on :mug:

If you mash in a kettle and want to do multiple temp rests, it doesn't matter whether you have a bag in there or a false bottom/manifold. As long as it's direct fired, you're all set. The bag in BIAB is nothing more than a way to contain the grain. I think people with a long history of doing traditional 3 vessel brewing have a hard time wrapping their minds around that, but it's really pretty darn simple.

I did the BIAB method for over a year and a half before I decided to move to a mash tun. I was perfectly happy with it and my beer came out great. I finally decided to move to a mash tun and I like it better, but only because of a personal preference. Like others have said, try it out because it is super cheap to begin and then gradually move on to a mash tun if you want to.

Also for all those that say you have to hold up and drain the bag, there are many ways around this. I had a grill like shelf I just put over the top of the kettle. I then put the grain bag in a bucket with a bunch of holes and set the bucket on the grill. I left it there to drain while I waited for the kettle to come up to temp to boil.

Back