Need help brewing a Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moharchad

Reaction score
I stumbled across a recipe online that I really liked. The ingredients are as followed...

Fermentables:

■6-10 pounds of pumpkin, roasted and mashed or puréed
■1 pound of Vienna or 2-Row malt, 4L
■½ pound crystal malt, 40L
■½ pound malted wheat
■6 pounds light or amber malt extract
■1 cup brown sugar (optional)
■½ cup molasses (optional)
Hops and Spices:

■1 ounce Mt. Hood hops (boiling)
■½ ounce Hallertauer hops (finishing)
■½ teaspoon vanilla
■½ to 1 teaspon pumpkin pie spices (see below)
Yeast:

■Wyeast 1056, American Ale, or 1272, American Ale II

Now the directions are clearly only a certain point.

1. It doesnt tell me what the gravite level should be when I test it with the hydro. I'm pretty much going of with the number 1.042

2. It requires two ingredients,
■½ pound crystal malt, 40L
■½ pound malted wheat
but doesn't actually state when to add them. I would imagine since its malt add it after I make the wert? The crystal malt is liquid so I figured 15 mines left on boil before I chill it? Or did I add it all in the begining?

It appears that in this recipe they want you to do a partial mash. So if you can mash the grain and sparge into you kettle to acquire the correct amount of wort. Then add your malt extract. I'm guessing this beer will be closer to the 1.050-1.055 range.

Steep the grains in a grain bag in one gallon of water for 45-60 minutes at 150-155 degrees. Lift out the grainbag and pour 1 gallon of 170 degree water over it to rinse.

Discard the grains.

Add water up to your boil volume. Bring the resulting wort to a boil.

(I'm not a fan of putting the pumpkin in with the grain, so I don't think I'd do that).

Take the pot off of the flame and add 1/2 of the extract and the pumpkin. Bring back to a boil.

Add Mt. Hood hops and set your timer for 60 minutes.

With 15 minutes left on your timer, add the hallertauer hops.

When the timer hits 0, turn off the heat add the other stuff if you're using it and the rest of the extract. Stir well. Cool to 65 degrees.

You're going to have a ton of sludge with all of that pumpkin in there, so I'd pour it through a sanitized strainer, stopping to empty the strainer often.

Add yeast when all is in the fermenter, cover, airlock.

Edit- you say "crystal malt is liquid". You may have some liquid extract, but crystal malt is a grain. So are the Vienna malt and the wheat malt. Put the grains together (make sure they are crushed) and steep as above. Use "pale" or "light" for your malt extract.

Back