Need feedback on farmhouse ale recpe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty good.
Why the flaked Rye?
Also wondering about the 80 minute boil, is that due to your system?
Farmhouse ales often have Vienna malt, it has roughly equal diastic power when compared to 2 row barley, but contributes much more of the malty flavors you often want in a Saison/Farmhouse

Yep - 80 minutes due to system ... I always end up with about 7.5 gallons and 80 mins yields exactly 5.5 for me.

Rye...because all the recipes I saw had some rye in it.

I went back and forth between caravienne and caramunich.

Yes, rye is the new "citra", Rye is kinda a fad. And I'm not sure I would do cara vienna, I think I would split my grain bill and get some actual Vienna for part of my base grain bill.

I almost always use Vienna in anything belgian... but I might not be the best judge on that, because I'd brush my teeth with Vienna malt if I could.

One more question. Are you trying to feature the yeast characters or the malt character or create a balance?

Yes, rye is the new "citra", Rye is kinda a fad. And I'm not sure I would do cara vienna, I think I would split my grain bill and get some actual Vienna for part of my base grain bill.

I almost always use Vienna in anything belgian... but I might not be the best judge on that, because I'd brush my teeth with Vienna malt if I could.

Alright... I will give a 60/40 Pilsner/ Vienna a shot.

Just be aware with 3711, your FG will be close to 1.000. When I used it last summer, I hit 1.002. So your abv will spike up to around 8-8.5%, requiring additional adding time to smooth out the alcohol heat.

Just be aware with 3711, your FG will be close to 1.000. When I used it last summer, I hit 1.002. So your abv will spike up to around 8-8.5%, requiring additional adding time to smooth out the alcohol heat.

Oh - didn't know it was that beastly. I was adding honey to help attenuation ... perhaps I should skip that step then.

Or would you go with a different yeast and keep the honey/sugar in their to bump the attenuation and dry-finish?

I used a half pound of cane sugar in mine anyway and it came out slightly dry - exactly as I wanted. If you're adding the honey for extra dryness, maybe cut it in half it, otherwise scrap it. Definitely keep the yeast though.

Ok...thanks. I'll keep the honey because, besides drying it out a bit, I like the added flavor complexity.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back