Need advice on repairing deck pickets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My backyard deck has these odd pickets which are a pita to repair. Over time the bottoms of them become detached and most have been fixed with a screw diagonally through them into the bottom support railing but that is a tricky procedure for me so they are still straight after the repair.

A couple have now broken off completely at the top and bottom as per top picture.

Any of you clever homebrewers have a similar issue and a better way to resolve it?

PxH9Hpj.jpg

scQKXBH.jpg

Lol is right! Sorry bro, never had that issue with those 1in'ers. To make it look right/even without redoing everything appears difficult. Try Gorilla glue on each end and clamping it in place? Another option to use a Krag jig to angle a screw but any screw might crack that old wood. Curious on your final decision. Try YouTube, I'm sure someone posted a fix. Good luck!

Those are likely pressure treated 2x2 balusters one can pick up at any big box hardware store. But they're usually 1-5/16" on each side. I have around 300 of the darned things between our upper and lower decks.

They must've been nailed into through from the two rails before the sections were installed. Might have to go that route again. I'm a huge fan of the Kreg system and use it all the time, but unless you buy the plugs those screws and diagonal cuts are going to show.

I'm actually interested in going with a composite/plastic deck railing system soon just to avoid having to prep, prime and paint all that wood railing again...

Cheers!

I'd go with a nail gun. A cheap brad nailer should suffice here. The assumption is that you have or could borrow an air compressor. If you're not wanting to spend money then the best bet would be to pre-drill the holes for finish nails.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-2-in-1-air-nailerstapler-68019.html

I'd think brads would rust. I'd just go with galvanized deck screws. Wood looks soft (does NOT look pressure treated to me), so probably don't need to countersink for screwheads - they should bite right in. I think I'd pre-drill though so the end of the 1x1 didn't split.

After, I'd also pressure-wash and protect with spar polyurethane. Man, that'll make it last a long time. Pressure-washing is far easier than sanding and will make that wood sparkle again quick. Spar urethane is kinda expensive, and unvarnished wood will soak it in, so you'll need gallons for any amount of wood like that.

We'll see if the OP responds, but they sure look like pressure treated southern yellow pine from here.
If they weren't pressure treated it's unlikely they be as relatively intact as pictured, especially the cut ends.
Matter of fact, I bet that entire deck is pressure treated pine, including the risers, railing, treads and decking...

Cheers!

A big move but that would solve the problem for good.
That's how I did my rails, then used a framing nail gun to pin the balusters while using a section of 2x4 for spacing to meet local code...

Cheers!

Thanks for taking the time to respond everyone. The pickets are definitely pressure treated wood. They are in great shape as the deck is about 25 years old. I just need to reinstall them where the original nail used to hold them in place, usually the bottom one, has deteriorated.

The dark brown color of everything is because about 7 years ago I covered the entire deck with a product called Olympic Rescue It. Although it was highly recommended it has since been discontinued and Olympic sued because it really is terrible. That's the subject for another post though.

Like day_trippr I also believe the pickets were preassembled by nail gunning them in between their upper and lower support boards. The assembled sections were then mounted on the deck and hand railings attached to the top of them. Point to all that being there's no way I'm dissembling the deck to reattach the pickets.

The several pickets repaired so far were done with screws diagonally installed though the bottom of the picket into the support base. I don't think these look great and they're kind of hard to repair as I install the screw on the outside side of the deck and have to stand on a ladder to do that.

So I'm looking for a simpler and safer method of repair.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back