Need advice for keeping IPA's fresh for NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettg20

Reaction score
So I just kegged among other beers an IPA, IIPA, and a Rye IIPA a week ago that I want to enter into the NHC. I was just going over the entry / judging dates and it is around the end of March or so which will put these beers just over 2 months in the kegs. I know they will still be somewhat hoppy but not like they are now or even 1 month from now which is ideal.

I have been researching possibly adding some hops in the keg maybe a week or so before I bottle, but I don't want to warm up the beer to dry hop and I know it will take longer to extract the oils at serving temps.

Any advice? I know 2 months out isn't terribly long, just wanted to see if anyone has been in the same situation....

I've dry-hopped kegs in my keezer using whole cones in muslin bags with not a hint of any grassy notes all the way to the end. In one case that was nearly a month on the hops. It definitely keeps up the aroma character, not quite so much the flavor.

Obviously you'd do better to brew up a batch at the end of February or the first week of March to provide an optimal submission, but I wouldn't be worried about dropping a couple/few ounces of cones in what you've already brew to perk it up, probably around the middle of March...

Cheers - and good luck with the comp!

Back