Need advice: Do I need a dip tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a 36-qt Bayou Classic pot that I've been using for AG full boils. I use an immersion chiller to cool and have been using 1/2" autosiphon to transfer wort to the fermenter after cooling. But I've never been able to whirlpool very effectively and I'm tired of my siphon getting clogged (and always fearing I'm gonna break the thing). So long story short, I'm going to install a bulkhead and valve on my pot, and run the wort through a sanitized strainer to eliminate as much trub and break material as possible.

Question is this: What exactly is the purpose of a dip tube? I mean, I get that the idea is to get to the wort below the level of the valve, but is installing a dip tube on the inside of the bulkhead going to accomplish anything that I can't accomplish by just tipping the pot when the level gets low? And if I use a dip tube, am I going to just clog it up, seeing as how I can't seem to get the hang of whirlpooling?

I appreciate any thoughts, suggestions, etc. on the matter. Thanks.

The dip tube will only help you if you are using some sort of hose to cover the distance from the pot to the fermenter. The siphon effect would eliminate the need for a pump in order to get the last bit of wort out.

What I dont understand is how the strainer wont get clogged like the autosiphon!

Dip tube would be easy as hell to make and since I dont use one the only thing I can recommend is make one yourself and see if you prefer to use it!

I just pour the beer from the kettle to a bucket through a funnel with a screen haha

Hop socks man, hop socks. Most of your trub in the kettle is going to be hops, so use the socks and make your life easier. Then just tip the pot when you are draining and you will leave most of the hot break behind.

The only thing I don't like about the hops socks is that by the way they are knitted or whatever, they seem compress the hops a bit, and I get all paranoid about utilization, etc.
Now I use a 1 gal paint strainer bag that I safety pin the top shut and fling into the boil on the end of a string. It works great, and my hops are free to wander, at least a little.
Probably the same as the boxers vs. briefs debate :cross:

I've still got a grain bag from my partial mash days ... that's not much different from a paint strainer bag, right? I may start using that. Otherwise, yes, I am gonna clog the strainer, which means stopping my transfer at least once or twice to dump the trub out.

As for the dip tube, it's sounding like I don't really need it all that much. I'll use a hose to run from the valve to the fermenter, but once the level gets below the valve, I'll just tip the pot.

Thanks all! :rockin:

Install a dip tube and point it to the outside edge of the kettle. When the boil is done use a paddle or spoon and give the wort a good stir in a circle creating a whirlpool effect and don`t touch it again for 15 min, this will deposit everything in the middle of the kettle and very little will get picked up that way.

I think it is all about correct placement of the diptube. I whirlpool while cooling but then let everything rest for 10-15 minutes. This helps to get all the break material to the bottom. My diptube is placed just above where the break settles. It is very easy for me to stop the flow if I start picking up to much break material.

How do you handle late add or flame out hops when using the hop bag especially with an immersion chiller? I've used the bag for bittering and flavoring hops but I was a little concerned about getting the necessary aroma hop oils out with the bag so I just tossed them in the kettle loose. Using the IC, do you remove the hop bag while chilling or just adjust so both are in the kettle?

And lastly, do you squeeze the bag to get every last IBU and hop tastiness out?

HomebrewMTB said:
How do you handle late add or flame out hops when using the hop bag especially with an immersion chiller? I've used the bag for bittering and flavoring hops but I was a little concerned about getting the necessary aroma hop oils out with the bag so I just tossed them in the kettle loose. Using the IC, do you remove the hop bag while chilling or just adjust so both are in the kettle?

And lastly, do you squeeze the bag to get every last IBU and hop tastiness out?

So I've been wondering how other folks do this as well. I just brewed a chinook IPA and used a bag for all stages, including a 1 minute addition. I did squeeze the hop bag to drain out the flavor as much as I could. Tasting, it does seem a bit muted in hop aroma and flavor. I'm going to rebrew it without hop bag to see if I can taste and smell the difference.

I sure do like the cleanliness of a hopbag though. I wonder if separate bags would help?

Latest posts

Back