Need a malt bill for a split batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossi46

Reaction score
I have some gigayeast gb150 sour cherry funk and gb122 berliner blend. I would like to do one 12 gallon batch and split it into 2 fermenters. What would be an acceptable malt bill for both ? Maybe 65 % pilsner, 25 % wheat, and 10 % crystal ? And what crystal ?

I have some gigayeast gb150 sour cherry funk and gb122 berliner blend. I would like to do one 12 gallon batch and split it into 2 fermenters. What would be an acceptable malt bill for both ? Maybe 65 % pilsner, 25 % wheat, and 10 % crystal ? And what crystal ?

The question is, what sort of beers do you want to end up with? If you want one of them to be Berliner-esque, I'd leave out the crystal. How about brewing 9 gallons of ~1.060 pale wheat-heavy wort, and diluting 3 gallons by 50% to get the Berliner down to its traditional range. Pitch the rest with the Sour Cherry Funk and call it a Flemish Pale?

I recently did a batch that I split 3-ways, pulled some and diluted pre-boil for a Berliner, some post-boil pre-hop-stand for a funky saison, and the rest loaded with hops for a "New England" APA.

50.0% Rahr "2-Row" Brewer's Malt
33.3% Rahr Wheat Malt
13.3% Fawcett Oat Malt
3.3% Weyermann CaraFoam

Something I like to do with a split mash is 60-40 pils/wheat, and use half for a no-boil Berliner or gose at a lower OG, and boil/hop the other half for a more traditional sour. The only issue is mash temp - usually you want lower for a Berliner and higher for a sour, to keep the sacch yeast from eating all the sugars. But a little bit of flaked wheat or oats steeped in the part you're going to boil is a nice workaround if you decide to mash low.

Hmm, ok. Maybe I should just do two different beers. I wanted to save some time, but I should just do two proper mashes.

i think you could make 2 excellent beers with one mash & boil. per gigayeast's website, the berliner mix is saison + lacto - so you could make a fine soured saison. just because the pack says "berliner" doesn't mean you need to limit yourself to that style.

personally i would do something like 60% pils, 35% wheat, 5% oats, ~ 1.050, 5 IBUs.

i think you could make 2 excellent beers with one mash & boil. per gigayeast's website, the berliner mix is saison + lacto - so you could make a fine soured saison. just because the pack says "berliner" doesn't mean you need to limit yourself to that style.

personally i would do something like 60% pils, 35% wheat, 5% oats, ~ 1.050, 5 IBUs.

This is great advice. I use a major bill similar to this, switching rye for oats, and vice versa. If you feel you must have something in there to contribute a little color or maltiness, consider Munich, instead of crystal, or maybe dark wheat for some of your wheat addition.

Personally I like leaving out the IBU addition entirely sometimes, and tasting later to see what I can dry hop with. Mmmmmmm...dry hopped sour beeeeeeeer.

Sounds like a good plan. I don't really care about the color, but I would like a little maltiness.

Sounds like a good plan. I don't really care about the color, but I would like a little maltiness.

You could steep the crystal malt on its own and add that to half the wort. It'll add more malt flavor, color, and some unfermentables.

I went ahead and did two different beers. A 60/35/5 pilsner, wheat, and oat. 1.045 with 5 ibu for the berliner. And a Tart of Darkness grain bill for the sour cherry funk.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Latest posts

Back