Need a good, easy SMaSH recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypanties

Reaction score
Going to try my first all-grain brew this weekend using Death Brewer's Easy Stovetop method. I thought starting with a SMaSH would be a little easier, and also help me learn about the different types of malts and hops. So I'd like to do something a little bit on the lighter side, maybe something with 2-row or Pilsner malt...although I do not have the ability to lager yet. Any suggestions?

Haven't done one yet, but a SMaSH with Marris Otter or Golden Promise would be nice. The 'obvious' pairing might be EKG or Fuggles, but I recall people saying Centennial can be really nice with those, too.

Seriously though, I've had very tasty beers from a simple combination of Marris Otter as a base malt and cascade or centennial hops. You can also experiment and do the same base beer with US-04 and US-05 yeast.

10 lbs 2row
. 5 oz. Cent @60
. 5 oz cent @20
. 5oz cent @7
. 5 oz cent @0
Nottingham

Made a pretty tasty smash. I. Would now probably change the hop schedule to even amounts @ 60,15,0 and use M.O. For a little more flavor and color, also might add another oz of hops and also dry hop it.

The best SMaSH I ever had was amarillo/maris otter!

10 pounds MO
1 ounce amarillo 60
.5 ounce amarillo 15
.5 ounce amarillo FO

Yum! And easy, too!

Yooper, sounds good! I've got some MO in trade, enough for a batch and some Amarillo in the freezer. Can you spare a few more details (although dead simple), such as yeast and mash temps? Thanks.

It's not Yooper's brew but I am drinking this right now:

YellaBeer:
12.4 lbs 2-row
.75 oz of Cascade @ 45, 30, 10, and 5 min.
Wyeast Labs Scottish Ale #1724

Mashed at 151 for 60 minutes.

Fermed at 67 for 28 days (it was converted at 21 but I didn't have time to bottle right then)

It's very mellow, kinda yellow, and refreshing. My buddies killed the rack I brought to the Tide-LSU game (Roll Tide) so I know it's drinkable!!
The citrus of the cascades comes through but it's not overpowering. I've knocked back a couple with and a couple without a slice of orange, and it's quite tasty either way.

Happy Brewing!

Yooper, sounds good! I've got some MO in trade, enough for a batch and some Amarillo in the freezer. Can you spare a few more details (although dead simple), such as yeast and mash temps? Thanks.

I don't remember the exact yeast strain, but it was in the style of an APA so I'm sure it was a clean well attenuating yeast strain, but S04 at under 65 degrees would be great as well.

I mash most of my APAs at 153 degrees.

Well I went into my LHBS and picked up 10lb of Briess 2-Row Pale Ale Malt, and 3 oz of Saaz. Am I going to be ok with this malt? Was looking for plain 2-row but they didn't have it.

I've done MO/Amarillo and MO/Cascade. Both were excellent!
Fermenting a MO/Legacy smash right now. Love Marris Otter!

Well I went into my LHBS and picked up 10lb of Briess 2-Row Pale Ale Malt, and 3 oz of Saaz. Am I going to be ok with this malt? Was looking for plain 2-row but they didn't have it.

I've used Briess Pale Ale Malt in an ESB and it seemed to have a bit of nuttiness to it, but generally, it's very mild and light -- more so than a British Pale Ale malt like MO or Golden Promise. For a SMaSH it would seem to be more interesting than regular 2-Row anyway.

I've used Briess Pale Ale Malt in an ESB and it seemed to have a bit of nuttiness to it, but generally, it's very mild and light -- more so than a British Pale Ale malt like MO or Golden Promise. For a SMaSH it would seem to be more interesting than regular 2-Row anyway.

Ok cool, being new to all grain I'm trying to figure out if it has enough diastatic power to be used on its own.

Yooper said:
The best SMaSH I ever had was amarillo/maris otter!

10 pounds MO
1 ounce amarillo 60
.5 ounce amarillo 15
.5 ounce amarillo FO

Yum! And easy, too!

+1

I make an Amarillo IPA with MO and it has become my house recipe. I use 6 oz of hops, most are late addition, and sometimes dry hop with 2 more oz. Might be overkill but it sure is delicious. Upfront citrus with a mellow bitter end.

Back