NB Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpiffy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know, I know... it's too late to be brewing an Oktoberfest beer. But, I love the style, and the first time I made the beer it was fantastic. So, I decided to make it again.

I'm going off of the NB ingredient list, but purchasing from my local store.

Overall, brew day went well yesterday. My only concern (if I can even call it that) is that my efficiency was lower than I've seen from my BIAB brewing to date. I ended up around 61% efficiency. In the past, I've gotten as high as 85% efficiency using the BIAB method. I'm thinking I just needed to rinse my grains better to capture more of the sugars.

Anyway, because I was low on efficiency, I undershot my OG a bit. It was 1.052 instead of 1.058. No biggie.

I made a starter ahead of time, stepping up twice to hit 3L total volume so I'd have plenty of yeast cells. I pitched my yeast starter of Wyeast Oktoberfest 2633 around 64°F. Then into the chest freezer it went, set to 50°F. I plan to let it sit for 2 weeks. Then I'll bump it up for a few days to room temp for a diacetyl rest before I rack it to a secondary and begin lower the temperature over a week or two down to 35°F or so to lager for 10-12 weeks.

I was going to ask if I needed to bother with the diacetyl rest, but I think I'll do what I can to avoid the butter beer flavoring.

Anywho, I guess this is more of a log or journal entry than asking any questions. But, if anyone has advice, feel free to chime in. :tank:

It's never too late to brew a fest beer. You got 3 months for it to get nice! Consider double crushing 50 to 100% your grains for BIAB, if you're not already doing that. The mill might have been set too wide at the store.

If you skip the d-rest
Your mouth might utter
"Geez this O-fest
Tastes like butter"

Back