NB fruit extract - fermentables? Overcarbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkuchan

Reaction score
I just had a bit of a concern with a beer I just bottled. This was just a quick experiment with an extra can of Coopers HME I had to see how things like ginger and other additions would affect the taste. I got a bottle of Natural Rasberry extract from Northern Brewer, and the instructions say to add it at bottling. Well, my beer was sitting for 2 weeks and was ready for bottling. This time I was bottling straight out of primary (Coopers bucket with tap), and priming individual bottles, so I didn't want to stir the bucket up when I mixed in the extract. I figured I'd add the bottle the night before, so it would be evenly distributed in the morning when I went to bottle.
Well, when I went to bottle, the beer I took out to sample and to take readings from was slightly carbonated (and there was a bit of foam at the top of the beer in the fermenter), which led me to believe that there were fermentables in the extract (tasted good though). Oh well, instructions said to add it at bottling, so it must be fine. Went ahead with bottling as usual.

Now, only one day after bottling, the PET bottles I used are already pretty hard (normally this takes at least 3-4 days), So I'm a teensy bit worried I may have bombs from overcarbing. Anyone with experience, please put me at ease. Thanks.

Back