NB Caribou Slobber - Cold Crashed Too Soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyte74

Reaction score
I was just sitting here and had one of those, "Oh snap!" moments.

I have three different batches going right now, got mixed up and cold crashed my Caribou Slobber after only 2 weeks, 3 days of fermentation at around 72-74 degrees. It's been at 35 since sunday morning and I won't be able to deal with it until I get home this evening. I know the SG and FG would be helpful, but I don't have that info.

What's the best thing for me to do? Keg and treat as normal or bring it back to ferm temps and let it ride a few weeks? Maybe re-pitch some yeast or something if I bring it back to ferm temps?

I would probably taste it this evening, first. If it tastes great already (which it totally might - pretty bulletproof recipe), keg it and start carbing at 12 psi. Serve in 2 weeks and enjoy.

If after tasting, it could benefit from more conditioning or if it tastes quite sweet, just warm up your fermenter as is and leave alone for two weeks then keg, chill again, carb and enjoy. Probably shouldn't need to repitch.

My $0.02.

The two batches that I did, I cold crashed them after 2.5 weeks and bottled straightaway...I don't see any issues unless for some odd reason the fermentation wasn't complete at 2 weeks...you should proceed to bottling/kegging w/o worrying about a thing...it'll be just swell.

Back