NB BeerSmith and All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpesko

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I order a kit from NB All Grain. Belgian Dubbel. Inserted Recipe in BS. BS tells me that I that my og is suppose to be 1.064 NB says 1.062 ok whatever not bad. Prob is finished my batch of 5g and its about 4.90 g still not a problem for me but my hydrometer says 1.074 plus .001 for 70 degrees. Package of wyest says 1.062 is the max. No yeast starter probably should have thought... What should I do get more yeast or add water any ideas?

Did a bit more searching sorry frantic if I need more yeast LHBS closes in 30 min. Found this according to their website says fine for 1.075 recommend this yeast but many others. Would just like someone to confirm.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_styledetails.cfm?ID=186

adding more water won't fix the problem, you'd still have the same amount of total sugar for the yeast to ferment. might be worth adding more yeast if you can

it's underpitched, but it'll certainly still ferment, just will be a longer lag time and maybe some excess esters. use http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html in the future to figure out how much you need to pitch

Did a bit more searching sorry frantic if I need more yeast LHBS closes in 30 min. Found this according to their website says fine for 1.075 recommend this yeast but many others. Would just like someone to confirm.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_styledetails.cfm?ID=186

This is the style description of a Belgian Dubbel taken from the BJCP style guidelines. It has nothing to do in determing the pitching rate for your beer, or the maximum OG for one package of yeast.

I'd strongly advise you to make a starter using mrmalty.com or yeastcalc.com to determine the proper size starter in your situation. A belgian dubbel should have a pretty dry finish which results from a relatively low FG. Pitching the correct amount of yeast will help ensure your beer ferments to the proper final gravity.

Ok, but why is my OG so high? The paperwork say 1.062. Had a 60 min in the cooler than another 60 for a batch sparge.

I don't know, can you post the recipe and a brief summary of your process? It could be you got better efficiency and/or your volume could be less than the recipe called for. Those are common reasons for missing gravity projections.

5 gallon batch
4.0 oz Crystal 120L
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt
1 lb Candi Sugar Dark
10 lbs Pale Malt Belgium
1 oz Hallertauer Hersbruckert 5min
1 tradition 60 min

ended up with almost 5 gals of wort. I would say around 4.90 gallons

60 min mash 18qt at 163.4
152 target mash got around 151 152 ish for 60 min
temp did not drop
drained the tun then added 2.5 gallon of 168 f water for 60 min drained and boiled for 60 min

Haven't been able to make it to the store to buy another yeast pack. So hopefully everything goes ok. Its been like a week now i guess. Well four days so will it be to late to add another wyest pack?

Like others have said above, it'll likely be ok with 1 pack of yeast, but you may get underattenuation due to the lower yeast count. To ensure you'll get full attenuation you may want to consider pitching another pack.

When adding new yeast to fermenting beer, you want to pitch the new yeast at its high krausen. If you do add another pack of yeast, make a small starter and pitch the yeast into it. When the starter is at high krausen, pitch the starter into your big fermenter (the one with 5 gallons of beer). This will get the new yeast prepared to start fermenting the rest of your beer.

cpesko said:
Ok, but why is my OG so high? The paperwork say 1.062. Had a 60 min in the cooler than another 60 for a batch sparge.

I would tend to question whether or not you really got to 1.075. That would be around 85% brew house efficiency. I would not add yeast unless you feel the fermentation is stuck for some reason. Relax, check the gravity in a day, or better yet, a week, and decide then. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Either way, adding yeast won't hurt it....probably won't help anything either.

So you did a batch sparge of 60 minute? Wow. I don't batch sparge, but that seems like a long time. Maybe Denny will catch this thread and chime in. You essentially did a double mash it seems like, hence the higher efficiency in extracting the sugars from the grains.

Yea this is only my second all grain this guy on youtube does a 60 min batch sparge so I thought it was normal. I not sure if I should add more yeast there is a decent amount of krausen now in the fer mentor so it obviously fermenting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would tend to question whether or not you really got to 1.075. That would be around 85% brew house efficiency. I would not add yeast unless you feel the fermentation is stuck for some reason. Relax, check the gravity in a day, or better yet, a week, and decide then. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Either way, adding yeast won't hurt it....probably won't help anything either.

Its fermenting not a super strong fermentation but krausen is visible.

Back