Natural Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
Few beers incite quite the negative reaction as Natural Light when it comes to most homebrewers and beer snobs. It's cheap even for a light American lager, and that might be the seed from which the hate grows. But I've got a soft spot for the stuff and enjoy downing a couple on occasion.

Some might say it's flavorless, and when compared to some of today's Imperial beers, you might have a point. But it does have a refreshing, subtle flavor in the way that water with a slice of lemon is subtle. Sometimes a refreshing beer like that is just what you need. Not every beer I drink needs to be a flavor bomb. Sure, I love an imperial IPA or a RIS as much as the next guy. But sometimes I like to change it up. Variety is the spice of life as they say.

I'm sure a lot of you reading this haven't had a Natty light since college, so I suggest you pick some up when you're next at the store. And try one with an open mind. If you go in expecting lots of malt and hops, you'll be disappointed. But if you can bring yourself to appreciate the subtle, refreshing, crushability, then I think you might just enjoy it.

It's funny my brother was a big natty light fan. I had not tasted the stuff since I restarted brewing. Last year at new years he got a case of 24 ozers. Now I'm a hop head so I try to stick clear of lite beers but I still drink keystones here and there but I always thought natty was garbage and the "tall boys" weren't helping his argument of them being good. I cracked the first one and it was a pretty decent brew for what it is.
I guess to each there own but if someone says natty is garbage consider my house the dump ill take it off your hands. Chopps

There's a time and place for everything. I haven't had a Natty Light in several years (college, like you said), but as I remember it was too bland to be offensive. As far as budget beers go, I'd rather take "no flavor" over "nasty flavor". So in that respect, you could do far worse.

I think the OP is well stated. However, I'm more of a Beast guy myself (Milwaukee's Best Light). I actually had one yesterday after planting a couple peach trees. I also purchase them when I know there is some beer pong / flip cup to be played. :drunk:

I'm partial to Bud. The light versions of American Lagers don't do it for me, but I enjoy almost any of the full-flavored versions. I think Coors Light is the single worst beer ever made, but enjoy the "Banquet Beer" as much as any other full-flavored American Lager. The only light beer I actually like is Heineken Light, which is suprising because I don't like regular Heineken at all.

I have a bunch of Buds in my beer fridge right now alongside 2012 Vertical Epic, Bitches Brew, Faithful Ale, and all of my homebrews.

In ky summertime 95 degrees 98 percent humidity an american light lager tastes like pure gold to me after mowing the yard. I drink them all natty, beast, bmc. I will also hit up the regulars PBR, highlife, and coors original. Nevcr liked the taste of bud though.

For the most part, the light lagers are pretty much all the same as far as taste. But I agree with KingBrianI, natty lite just tastes the best to me. From what I have heard (don't remember where) Natural light is Bud Light that didn't meet the quality standard for Bud Light. All I know is it treated me well for 4 years of college, and to this day, I will NOT pass one up if offered :) I prefer it over coors light, beast light etc

Sure I pour myself a glass of tap water now and again! Sorry guys I couldn't resist and just kidding!

iron57 said:
Has anyone here tried to clone an actual American Light Lager?

Yeah. Followed one of the recipes on these here forums for a miller clone and one from Austin homebrew. The AHB was the closest according my natty light only drinking neighbor. Homeowners beer he calls it. Always makes an excuse to not drink any of the other beers I make so I make 5 gallons or so of this for him time to time.

Edit. The recipe I followed was conveniently posted right below me. Thanks.

Has anyone here tried to clone an actual American Light Lager?

Well, not a clone. More like a 'good' starting point. Pretty curious as to how it will turn out... :)

Style: Lite American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 12.57 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.44 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 2.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 9.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 1.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 65.6 %
5 lbs 4.6 oz Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 34.4 %
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 8.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 2.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Lager (Wyeast Labs #2035) [124. Yeast 5 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 5.9 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 22.42 qt of water at 157.5 F 148.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (0.70gal, 4.46gal, 4.46gal) of 168.0 F water

I agree, kind of defeats the purpose. But I must admit it is really hard to beat a crisp, ice cold Miller High Life after mowing the dried up weeds I call a lawn. Malty goodness and complexity isn't exactly what I look for in such scenarios.

All joking aside, I bet it's pretty darned difficult to homebrew one of these correctly. Whether anyone would go through the time and expense is another story. Last I checked, an 18 pack was going for around ten bucks down here.

Wow, surprised at the responses. I suppose underneath the hop snobbery there is an inner unwashed and uneducated beer swiller in some of us.

I always have some cheap light beer in the fridge. Usually someone brings some over for a Packer game or i bought some for a family event for those that don't like what I like. I usually drink PBR when a can is mandatory (on the river, beach, etc...), but I will drink pretty much anything handed to me. I saw Old Milwaukee on sale last week for $7.99/30 pack, been a long time since I've seen anything that cheap.

Latest posts

Back