Natural carbing a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
Is 3 oz of DME to. 16 oz of water added to a 5 gal keg the correct amount to naturally carb the keg? Also how much co2 should I seal the keg with?
Thanks Steve:mug:

To be precise, you need to know the highest temperature your beer hit during your process. Assuming 20C, (68F?), then about 1.1 oz per gallon for 2.5 volumes of CO2. Some guys here will say, yes, about half the bottle priming amount is right for a keg, but no one has shown me the math on it to explain it, so I follow a carbonation calculator as it is, for the amount of beer I carb, be it one bottle or one keg.
And just purge your keg a few times and that should do it.

To be precise, you need to know the highest temperature your beer hit during your process. Assuming 20C, (68F?), then about 1.1 oz per gallon for 2.5 volumes of CO2. Some guys here will say, yes, about half the bottle priming amount is right for a keg, but no one has shown me the math on it to explain it, so I follow a carbonation calculator as it is, for the amount of beer I carb, be it one bottle or one keg.
And just purge your keg a few times and that should do it.
Have you experienced issues with your beer being over-carbonated? I would have thought so. I use beersmith and it even says if I am carbonating with priming sugar (or any other fermentable) in a keg then I am to use about half what I would use for bottling and still evidently have the same volume of CO2.

I've done it with a blonde ale and it appears to be perfectly carbonated. I am quite pleased. I did not naturally carbonate because I think that's a misnomer. I am adding sugar; I thought natural carbonation was not adding anything.

OP, like anything, you will probably get various answers. I do not think your keg will explode if you use too much DME but you should try to do it as though you were bottling. If you have foam issues then you'll know for future reference that about 1/2 the DME or priming sugar is better.

Latest posts

Back