Name this style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotgunsteve

Reaction score
Made a hybrid out of this recipe https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/vanilla-and-coffee-porter-3 into the following brew:

O.G. 1.058

8.8 lb marris otter 2-row
0.75 lb roasted barley
0.5 lbs chocolate malt
2.2 lbs crystal malt
1 lb caramel malt
8.5 oz flaked oats

70 min BIAB mash

60 minutes 1.0 oz Northern Brewer hops
30 mins 0.5 oz Cascade hops
15 mins 1 tsp irish mosh

1/4 tsp yeast energizer
1/4 tsp yeast nutrient

wyeast london porter yeast

1 lb lactose at bottling

The 'That's a Ton of Caramel and Crystal Malt' style ;)

And then he added 1 lb of lactose to fully ensure that overwhelming sweetness!

I really hope you enjoy this OP. My personal tastes say this is too sweet. But you didn't mention batch size, mash temps, lovibond or ebc of the malts. You took the recipe of a porter and adjusted some things. From my estimation it still remains a porter, albeit a very sweet version.

Even before the lactose, and a mash temp of 152, you're likely looking at an FG of 1.017 or so (also depending on which London ale yeast you're referring to when you say wyeast London Porter yeast.). If you mashed higher, the FG is higher than that. Then you add in the lactose which is unfermentable. Raises your FG to around 1.024.

When formulating a recipe, or just editing one, you really gotta ask yourself why you're adding each particular ingredient in, and why that particular amount. If you can't give an answer, it's likely because you haven't educated yourself enough.

Hopefully not "tooth-rotting sweet milk stout". Do you have an FG yet, and what are the lovibonds of the two crystals? Also curious on exactly which yeast that is.

Back