Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure looks like Brazil, but it is not. It’s a country that borders Brazil.

Now may also be the time to break the news that this architectural masterpiece is actually a doctored image. Both this and the original can be found online. With location clues.

I'm struggling to think it's real. The additional support pieces or whatever at the top don't make sense, and the angled board or whatever looks like a photoshop copy and paste since the ends of them are the same. The whole top looks like it's been copied and pasted 2 more times.

I'm sure there is a real building somewhere serving as the basis for this, but the picture... shenanigans.

I'm struggling to think it's real. The additional support pieces or whatever at the top don't make sense, and the angled board or whatever looks like a photoshop copy and paste since the ends of them are the same. The whole top looks like it's been copied and pasted 2 more times.

I'm sure there is a real building somewhere serving as the basis for this, but the picture... shenanigans.
Yes, as I said above, it's a doctored image - photoshop. And both this one and the original are on the web. But if I say more it will get too easy. I'll hold on to other clues for now.

Yep, I see now that you did mention it.

So, "house design fail brazil" brought me to a Pinterest page with the original picture it seems, and the basketball backboard says, I think... Petare. Wikipedia says it's a neighborhood in Miranda, Venezuela.

If that's right, I'm not feeling complete, hopefully someone can find out more about it and claim victory. There must be a story to it.

Yep, I see now that you did mention it.

So, "house design fail brazil" brought me to a Pinterest page with the original picture it seems, and the basketball backboard says, I think... Petare. Wikipedia says it's a neighborhood in Miranda, Venezuela.

If that's right, I'm not feeling complete, hopefully someone can find out more about it and claim victory. There must be a story to it.
You got this, @tracer bullet. I suspected someone would crack it without too many clues. I'll take it from here and provide that story. But you're next!

The image is clearly fake, but it did the rounds on the internet on sites showing either architectural "fails" or, conversely, the ingenuity and fearlessness of builders in the slums of Latin America.
IMG_4793.JPG

This (above) is undoctored image, showing a structure that does not look particularly sound, even sans the photoshopped addition, and the ridiculously placed hammock. This building would not be considered out of place in this kind of neighborhood.

And this is the original, uncropped image:
IMG_4794.JPG

It contrasts that architectural aberration with this hyper-modern "Infocentro", a type of public cybercafe with a rooftop basketball court and gym smack in the middle of one of the roughest neighborhoods in Caracas, Venezuela, Petare (actually in the Greater Caracas metro region, Miranda State, not Caracas itself, so you are entirely right.) The Infocentros were one of the less misguided social initiatives of the infamous Hugo Chavez goverment, which probably ran out of steam as soon as they needed their first software update.
Pico_Estudio_Espacios_Paz_248133806.jpg

I probably first earned my "name that skyline" chops years ago, before joining this group, when I saw that picture, misidentified as being in Brazil, and traced it back to Venezuela. I visited Petare in 2003, for work.

honestly i'm an amature, but i read the first post. and it was said that was cheating! ;)
It’s one thing to right-click on an image and go after the metadata, or to do a reverse image search. That’s cheating. I meant something else: When you play this game on a computer rather than a phone, just by moving the mouse over the image (as you have to, simply to get to the text box or to reach a button), the name of the file appears, right next to the mouse pointer. It just pops up on the screen, without clicking anything. And if the image is called, say, “Barcelona_Holiday.jpg” rather than “IMG_4672” you just can’t unsee it. That’s not cheating, but that’s why I suggested that @tracer bullet could have another go. He gets to go again anyway!

:) I did that on a picture of Paris back at post #9252. I labeled it "NOT Dublin," because I'd left "Dublin" on my previous skyline, #9242, and was told about it. To keep the joke running, @InspectorJon immediately posted "NOT Dublin." I hope he sees your post.

well, i tried to find something that might be hard enough, but easy enough to get an ah ha....probably to easy though....

View attachment 776102
I’ve never been, but was able to research the observation tower. Nice cropping or it would have been far too easy. I’m sure I got it, Sydney, but I’ve been sure before and missed, so I’ll wait for confirmation.

too easy, been done before? :(

edit: your first post was blank, why i was wondering...but yeah i cropped the opera house out of sydney...thought it'd be maximum pay, for minimal effort! :mug:

Last edited:
so a low class joint? 🤔
:p
You know it was very nice and that veranda was off the hook. In this pic you can see my reflection in the building across the street. The veranda I’m standing on is the length of the picture. The only complaint I had was there was no refrigerator or microwave in the room.

Attachments

• 5D9943D8-555F-4D67-9605-CEE8F531E4D0.jpeg
    5D9943D8-555F-4D67-9605-CEE8F531E4D0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Spindly pines and lots of open space beyond it... a lake, maybe a bay on the ocean? American vehicle. Don't recognize the bird symbol and definitely can't get much from the lettering on the side, if that's even what it is.

Somewhere in Greenland.

not green land, 'too cold'...but close....?

i'd just say that little bird would be a googleable give away...i think if googled right....

Back