Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, this one may or may not be too difficult...

11694896_10205944037112582_5304094841405738104_n.jpg

That's it. Flew into Harrisburg, which is just upriver from it, for the weekend. You've got the conch Minky.

I have overflown it before also. I had no idea it is still active though. I wonder if they are going to reopen Chenobyl and Fukishima also?

I have overflown it before also. I had no idea it is still active though. I wonder if they are going to reopen Chenobyl and Fukishima also?

I doubt Chernobyl opens ever. It was a much more massive loss of containment there (it was a WWII tech plant, did NOT use water as a moderator for the reaction), and when it exploded it created a true disaster. Half life of the radioactive material released there is 30 years, so it's gonna be at least another 100 years before they re-populate that area, and by then there will be nothing to re-use there (most especially, the name).

I'd guess Fukishima does open again because was caused by an "Act of God" instead of poor engineering (it's a water-moderated facility, but when tsunami knockd out all sources of power, pumps stopped and reaction went China Syndrome). Anyway, we don't blame engineering for acts of god, so back on the horse go the Japanese.

Three Mile Island was human error (Homer Simpson was apparently on shift that day), but there was really no lost of containment of radioactive material outside the facility, no exposure to anybody, and though it was a scare, it's largely been negated by redundant computerized safety systems (I hope :) ).

I doubt Chernobyl opens ever. It was a much more massive loss of containment there (it was a WWII tech plant, did NOT use water as a moderator for the reaction), and when it exploded it created a true disaster. Half life of the radioactive material released there is 30 years, so it's gonna be at least another 100 years before they re-populate that area, and by then there will be nothing to re-use there (most especially, the name).

I'd guess Fukishima does open again because was caused by an "Act of God" instead of poor engineering (it's a water-moderated facility, but when tsunami knockd out all sources of power, pumps stopped and reaction went China Syndrome). Anyway, we don't blame engineering for acts of god, so back on the horse go the Japanese.

Three Mile Island was human error (Homer Simpson was apparently on shift that day), but there was really no lost of containment of radioactive material outside the facility, no exposure to anybody, and though it was a scare, it's largely been negated by redundant computerized safety systems (I hope :) ).

pretty much spot on.. I used to be licensed to operate a reactor and have a published article on the events leading up to the chernobyl disaster.. it's floating around the internet somewhere...

Latest posts

Back