Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, this shouldn't be too difficult.

cc.jpg

Looks like the amusement park is more like a fair and not permanent. That's all I got. Im going sailing.

OK, this is sort of a trick skyline, yes, that in itself is a clue. Looking for the name of the mountain,
extra points if you can name the lake too.

slmsh1.jpg

That would be St Helens and Spirit Lake which is now completely destroyed after the eruptions. I'm not old enough to have seen it like that but I'm familiar with photos. It was one of the most beautiful lakes in the Cascade mountains.

This is pretty much what it looked like when I saw it in 2002.

IMG_4805.JPG

Okay....

Keeping with the mountain theme, this time I have chosen a hard one. I'll give hints as we go.

IMG_4703.jpg

That would be St Helens and Spirit Lake which is now completely destroyed after the eruptions. I'm not old enough to have seen it like that but I'm familiar with photos. It was one of the most beautiful lakes in the Cascade mountains.

This is pretty much what it looked like when I saw it in 2002.

Correct.

Are you a geologist?

Haha, maybe amateurishly, I guess I know the fundamentals. I enjoy learning about all branches of science: chemistry, physics, biology, astronomy, geology. Except Taxonomy, I couldn't care less about how humans decide to categorize living things.

Here is a clue: This is a volcano, and it's in the U.S. which means it must be in one of the following states: Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, or Hawaii.

Are you a geologist?

I would venture to say 'no' to that, as "volcanic rock" is not a type of rock but a description of origin. Volcanic rock and sedimentary rock are not mutually exclusive; volcanic rock can and often leads to both metamorphic and sedimentary stratification, so going by looks alone it looks to have been stratified in some fashion.

Anyhow, I have no guesses on this one.

Here is a clue: This is a volcano, and it's in the U.S. which means it must be in one of the following states: Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, or Hawaii.

Uhhh....what about all of the other states with volcanoes? Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, South Dakota, Idaho, Virginia, New Hampshire, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, and Texas all have at least one volcano.

I would venture to say 'no' to that, as "volcanic rock" is not a type of rock but a description of origin. Volcanic rock and sedimentary rock are not mutually exclusive; volcanic rock can and often leads to both metamorphic and sedimentary stratification. If indeed this rock is of volcanic origin (i.e. magma), then it would be more correct to say that the rock is not igneous instead of not sedimentary.

Uhhh....what about all of the other states with volcanoes? Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, South Dakota, Idaho, Virginia, New Hampshire, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, and Texas all have at least one volcano.

I already had you guessed you as a geologist before this post.

I will be leaving New Hampshire out of the guessing though.

New Hampshire has a volcano? What does it spew, maple syrup?

I already had you guessed you as a geologist before this post.

I will be leaving New Hampshire out of the guessing though.

Haha nope! I'm a software engineer by day. But my BFF (can guys use this term???) is a Geoscientist (and his wife a hydrogeologist), so I'm always getting fresh doses of geology knowledge. And not unlike TooDogly I like to dabble in most math/science related fields as well. Astronomy and geology are two of my favorites. General biology is right up there too. Chemistry was never a strong suit for me (actually hated it at times), but brewing has definitely piqued my interest in chemistry more so.

Also I see a typo in that post of mine you quoted. I didn't mean to say that "it would be more correct to say that the rock is not igneous instead of not sedimentary".....instead it should have read "it would be more correct to say that the rock is igneous instead of not sedimentary". Updated the original post to be less confusing.

New Hampshire has a volcano? What does it spew, maple syrup?

Two, in fact:

Pawtuckaway Mountains
Ossipee Mountains

No one said anything about being an "active volcano".....

I would venture to say 'no' to that, as "volcanic rock" is not a type of rock but a description of origin. Volcanic rock and sedimentary rock are not mutually exclusive; volcanic rock can and often leads to both metamorphic and sedimentary stratification, so going by looks alone it looks to have been stratified in some fashion.

Thanks for setting me straight MagicMatt. I will try to clarify my clue.

This is a mountain peak that is also a volcano, and it is located in one of the five states I mentioned. The stratification seen in the photo is the result of consecutive eruptions which built up the mountain, not layers of sandstone or other such rock that has been pushed to that angle by uplift (such as you might see in Utah or Colorado.

I've got to say, I thought I had a pretty good grip on US volcanos, and even after checking a reference sheet I still have no idea.

Looks to be above the tree line, so the peak would have to be >10,000ft. The rock color seems to hint SW US, which would narrow if down to California if that's true (based on your list). I've never seen those colors in Alaska, and haven't been to Hawaii but pretty sure its volcanoes are almost all basalt. I've checked all that I can think of that meet these 2 criteria (think there's only 4) and can't find a photo that resembles this at all.

Man.....that was tricky, good job.

Broken Top, final answer.

Finding a glacially eroded volcano peak was tougher than I thought. That is a pretty distinctive peak, yet I couldn't find any suitable images. Then I noticed where you are from and homed in around Bend, and voila.

I need to get up to the PNW more often.

Man.....that was tricky, good job.

Broken Top, final answer.

Finding a glacially eroded volcano peak was tougher than I thought. That is a pretty distinctive peak, yet I couldn't find any suitable images. Then I noticed where you are from and homed in around Bend, and voila.

I need to get up to the PNW more often.

Correct! I picked this angle from inside the crater to make the mountain look smaller but you realized it was above the tree line. Great powers of deduction, Mr. Holmes!

Photo Pilot was sooo close with his guess, literally, you can see the top of North Sister poking above the rim there. :D

Ok on the subject of volcanoes, here's a two-for: two pictures, two volcanoes. Give me both and you get the nod! It shouldn't be too hard.....if you get one, the other should be obvious.

In the first one, name the volcano/mountains in the distance. The 2nd picture shows the volcano I was standing on to take these pics. Both pictures were taken from the same spot, just turned 180° around (one facing roughly west, the other east).

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

Back