Mystic, Godiva hops, Saccharolicious yeasts in Sweden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
I happened to come across humle.se recently and was surprised to see them selling the very latest Farams hops, including Mystic which is the first time I've seen them in the homebrew world, not even in the UK. Also Godiva (which Malt Miller have had since last year, and which seems quite promising), Jester, Olicana etc. Prices are pretty reasonable too - typically €4.66 per 100g, plus about the same for letter post to the UK.

They also list (if not actually stock...) Saccharolicious yeasts on slants and as liquid, which include "Cornwall". I assume it's just a harvest from a St Austell bottle, but it's the first time I've seen it sold as a homebrew yeast.

Yeah, I also knew about this website. They have a nice diversity on many things. They also have Imperial Yeast and a great variety of hops. I'm sure they'll bring more. I'm more concerned about shipping rates, being that I live in Romania. ( although an EU country )

Imperial's getting pretty common here in the UK, but I suspect that it's more down to them offering good "starter" deals to retailers, I wonder if they will be so popular in 2 years time.

I wonder a bit about humle.se's turnover - not only do they still have Galaxy in stock, it's 2017. So it could be a case that they've bought a bit of everything, but it's not actually selling as well as they hoped. But at least they do have the rare stuff - I don't think I've seen Sabro (HBC438) in the UK yet, nor Barbe Rouge.

Their shipping rates for couriers aren't much fun, but the non-tracked post is OK, given that one would only be getting a couple of hops or yeasts from them.

Mind you, it works both ways - I've tried to find Uvaferm 228 yeast in retail packs and the only countries where people seem to be breaking down 500g bricks into something smaller are Romania and neighbours, but most either don't ship to the UK or charge a fortune for it. Still, I've plenty of other things to be working on.

Since I'm from Sweden I buy most of my stuff there (humle.se). Usually great service. Last buy included fresh godiva and olicana hops, looking forward to a brew with those!

Northern_Brewer ---> What are you using Uvaferm 228 for? Are brewing wines or do you experiment with it in beer?

Only for beer - it showed up in a review I did a while back as a non-killer, POF- yeast with decent glycerol production, which suggests it would at least work as a co-ferment, I was wondering what it would be like in beer.

Here in the UK we're pretty well sorted for hops, so it's notable when I see the few we can't get readily. The historical relationship with NZ and Australia means we see quite a lot of their hops, and they're in pretty common use commercially, the only problem is that there's such demand for things like Galaxy that suppliers struggle to keep it in stock at this time of year, before the new harvest hits the warehouses.

I started some time ago to really avoid hops that are in high demand and also refrain from using those. I am at the same time really tired of IPAs, so Galaxy, even 2018 crop, does not tickle me pink anymore. Great hop and IPAs are great, but I don't want to drink them or brew them anymore. There are IPAs everywhere when I want to drink one.

However, there's not enough good lagers and lower-ish ABV beers ( at least where I live ).

I'm at a phase where I'm trying all kinds of other hops, which were never on my radar whenn I started brewing. I made a good Vienna Lager in January using Brewers Gold and Comet, both grown in Germany. No dry hopping, but a very decent whirlpool. Came out very orangey, flowery, grapefruit, there was also some fruit sweetness. I couldn't believe it. But I figured that Brewers Gold is lineage to Citra along with other 3-4 other hops and Comet should be grassy, grapefruit, etc., but grown on different terroir, would be mellower. And it was, but not less interesting.

Back