MyPID / TD4 Alarm Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maierhof

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok - I have been working on my control box for a while now and had no luck connecting the buzzer alarm into my system as an alarm for my MyPIN TD4.

I have looked all over the internet and these forums and have no luck finding how this thing gets its power? Help??!!!

here are a few pics - can someone help me - I have all of the PJ diagrams and it seems pretty straight forward but I can't get it to work. Oh and I have tested the buzzer - it is fine. The problem is me...

I have tried over 6 different combinations and still can't get the alarm to sound even as the alarm light on the pid is lit up...

Anyone??

IMG_20140604_192039_972.jpg

IMG_20140604_192151_362.jpg

IMG_20140604_192208_212.jpg

I'm not 100% sure since I don't have the datasheet in front of me but I would say you have forgotten to wire the neutral (or hot) side of the alarm circuit. Also is the buzzer 120vac?

I'm not 100% sure since I don't have the datasheet in front of me but I would say you have forgotten to wire the neutral (or hot) side of the alarm circuit. Also is the buzzer 120vac?

Yes - it is a 120v buzzer. I am just going to take pics of all the attempts then... here is config #2 - no dice

1402026419523.jpg

All the alarm output is is a relay/switch. You need to feed power through it to power the device. It is not like the SSR output which provides its own power.

Give me 10 minutes and I'll sketch what you need to do :D

OK, from what you had in post 5 you need to jumper pins 1 and 6

203899d1402018492-mypid-td4-alarm-help-1402018505575.jpg

OK, from what you had in post 5 you need to jumper pins 1 and 6

Ok - that is what I was thinking to do next too - except I chose jumper 5 instead thinking it was the hot (this was try #3) - WRONG - my heart dropped as I watched the sparks fly out of the thing... BTW - DONT DO THAT FOLKS - lol

then I jumped 1 and 6 and it flipped the circuit breaker immediately (attempt #4) so I stopped to examine my setup again and I unfortunately had a jumper from the neutral of the light back to the main neutral which I then took off (attempt #5) - and still no dice

The main problem I have now is I think I fried the alarm circuit on this thing - sparks flew out of it on attempt #3 but it still shows temp and the Alarm light on the PID itself is on but no juice to the buzzer...

So I then tried the jumper from 1 to 5 again and it didn't spark - uh oh - not good.... :eek: I think I fried it...

here is a pic of the setup the way you laid it out... or did I miss something?

IMG_20140605_213218_002.jpg

That is not how I had it laid out. I don't know why it sparked, by your explainations and details I can't see why it would. Give me another few minutes and I draw something else that might be clearer.
I the meantime can you please check that everything that you have is rated for 120VAC - including the switch in the buzzer circuit

so taking into account that the hot side of this alarm system is plug #6 - I just figured out I had the line out to the spst running from plug #5...

so I flipped those connections and it still doesn't work...
take a look:

I need to learn how to be patient - thank you for the help on this!!!

and yes - it is rated 10amp 120-240VAC

IMG_20140605_214543_868.jpg

You still are not completing the circuit. Power needs to flow to one ALM1 pin, through the ALM1 relay, out the other ALM1 pin to the switch, from the switch to the buzzer and from the buzzer to the neutral.

Can you see the pictures I am attaching?

TD4.JPG

You still are not completing the circuit. Power needs to flow to one ALM1 pin, through the ALM1 relay, out the other ALM1 pin to the switch, from the switch to the buzzer and from the buzzer to the neutral.

Can you see the pictures I am attaching?

thank you for that pic!! that is the exact pic I have been looking for. If I had just been patient I might have this thing solved by now.

I have wired it correctly according to your diagram and still no dice... which makes me think I fried the circuit. I even took the spst out of the equation to make it easier. take a look:

IMG_20140605_221923_935.jpg

now I am thinking that I have the alarm setup wrong in the pid software... hmmmm - the light is on for AL1 though..

so I press the set button for 3 sec - then have AL1 set to 60 (ambient is 77 right now) and A^1 set to 2 (which is absolute value Hi - default) - and the AL1 light comes on as soon as I set this telling me it is in alarm mode - is this right? or did I screw this up too...

here is a pic of the box closed and the AL1 light on in the PID all the way to the right. It is directly below the space between the 0 and the 9...

IMG_20140605_225003_145.jpg

OMG - no wonder I was all confused - the instructional diagrams included are different from the ones on the side of the actual PID.
I never thought to look at that at all - check it out (pic attached) - the polarity of plugs are swapped on PID below vs the ones on the instructions above

IMG_20140605_230055_272.jpg

They are the same on both diagrams. Check the alarm with power to make sure it works. Stop being so impatient and actually pay attention to what everyone us telling you. Jumper 1-6. 5 goes to spst switch then from switch to one terminal on the alarm (X1). X2 goes to neutral or pin 2. It's very simple.

They are the same on both diagrams. Check the alarm with power to make sure it works. Stop being so impatient and actually pay attention to what everyone us telling you. Jumper 1-6. 5 goes to spst switch then from switch to one terminal on the alarm (X1). X2 goes to neutral or pin 2. It's very simple.

(In my nicest voice) actually they are swapped from the instruction page inserted w the pid vs the diagram on the pid itself. I was using the page instead of the most recent one on the pid itself. Maybe it is hard to see because of the bad quality of the photo... but anyhoo youre right - I do need to slow down more. It is tough working at a startup, my current job, and being a stay at home dad w 4 & 5 year olds... but that wasnt the issue. I had the polarity of the wires swapped from go and got pissed off when it didnt work after many attempts. Next time I should just go for a walk...

I did check the buzzer w power when I got it as well as a few times along the way so I know it is ok.
I am pretty sure I fried the circuit internally though on the pid :eek:

Sure it seems easy once you know it...being a total noob to pid alarms here though didnt help me...

Figure it out yourself then since you know better. And won't take anyone's advice.

Sorry my mistake, mobile pictures

Thank you Mattd2 - no - you had it right and took the time to show me in a pic!! Without your help I wouldn't have figured out that the alarm is a separate system that has to gain power via a jumper to it. Cheers to you my friend! :mug:

Figure it out yourself then since you know better. And won't take anyone's advice.

not sure what to say to this... so I won't.

This is why I stopped lurking on boards years ago - words can have different meanings to different people and can be taken in the wrong way very easily. Sorry if I offended you in some way... cheers!

Back