My Reiterated Mash Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
I'm making an English Barleywine using the reiterated mash technique and thought I'd post in case anyone else is interested. My recipe is:

Mash #1
8 lbs Maris Otter
12 oz Amber Malt 27L
8 oz Crystal Maris Otter 70-80L
160 degrees for 30 minutes

Amber balanced water profile, tap water treated with campden, and 2.1 grams each of gypsum and CaCl

Mash #2
8 lb Maris Otter
148 degrees for 90 minutes

1 oz Green Bullet 12.1% FWH
1 oz EKG 6% at 25 minutes
Whirfloc at 5 minutes
5 teaspoons yeast nutrient right before yeast pitch

WLP 002 harvested from a previous batch, first generation.

I do BIAB, so I mashed in with 7 gallons of water at 166 for an initial mash temp of 160 for 30 minutes, with the goal of collecting 6.5 gallons of wort to use for the next mash. The first mash was done at higher temp to encourage alpha amylase production, while the second mash was done low and long to encourage beta amylase production. The theory behind this is that mashing at both ends of the spectrum will make a highly fermentable wort. Neither wort was sparged.

Collected the wort from the first mash, got 6.5 gallons at 1.045. A little lower than I thought I would get, maybe should have mashed a little longer.

After the second mash, I collected 6 gallons of wort at 1.083, after a 90 minute boil, I had roughly 5.25 gallons of wort at 1.094. Boil was not very vigorous hence not getting to 5 gallons.

Overall I was quite pleased with how this turned out, especially since it was my first time. I wound up with a little more volume (5.25 instead of 5) and a lower FG (1.094 instead of 1.097) than anticipated but other than that it went very well. Being able to do no sparge full volume mash for each mash was very convenient and time saving. I was able to use the wort from the first mash directly into the second mash since without having to heat/cool it as well since it came out at 154.

I'd definitely recommend this method for anyone thinking of brewing a big beer. You get better efficiency and don't have to worry about maxing out your mash tun if like me, you use a 10 gallon cooler. BIAB makes it even easier, since you don't have to rinse the bag between mashes, just dump the grain and mash again.

I hope this helps anyone who might consider this technique.

seems like an interesting technique for high abv beers without adding sugar to boost it, what is the estimated FG for this beer?

I’m hoping for around 1.025, that would be at the high end of the attenuation for this yeast. However, I pitched a huge amount of yeast from the last ESB I made so I think it can get there.

Please let us know the FG results. I was going to do the same thing, but 002 is only supposed to have an 8% alcohol tolerance.
Cheers!
Pretty much all brewing yeasts can reach 10-12% abv with little to no help. Most of the stated alcohol tolerance levels are very conservative estimates by the yeast labs.

I am not a beer troll. I chase more info..So your total mash time is 120? Basicly drop one bag in ,then remove check temp mash water and drop next bag in..This why I love the chase, some golden beer mugs ,.thank you ,stay strong and brew on...What is your target abv with this ,my guess is 9- 10%

I am not a beer troll. I chase more info..So your total mash time is 120? Basicly drop one bag in ,then remove check temp mash water and drop next bag in..This why I love the chase, some golden beer mugs ,.thank you ,stay strong and brew on...What is your target abv with this ,my guess is 9- 10%

Yes, 120 total mash time one right after the other, the temps worked out perfectly for me. The goal of 9 to 10% finished product.

I chase more info

Re-iterative mash (aka double mash, and occasionally poly-gyle mash, but not parti-gyle mash) has been around for a while. A couple of links:
That being said, what @chewyheel wrote is all I would have needed to starting brewing with this technique.

Re-iterative mash (aka double mash, and occasionally poly-gyle mash, but not parti-gyle mash) has been around for a while. A couple of links:
That being said, what @chewyheel wrote is all I would have needed to starting brewing with this technique.
Thanks for the links..when i wanted a higher abv from the stove top 4gallon batches, I was just adding more dme...nice to have other information...

Wh
That being said, what @chewyheel wrote is all I would have needed to starting brewing with this technique.[/QUOTE
What no Aussie input... great links. thanks

Please let us know the FG results. I was going to do the same thing, but 002 is only supposed to have an 8% alcohol tolerance.
Cheers!

My FG came in at 1.012, for an ABV of 10.76% and 86% attenuation! This is much higher than the average range for this yeast and actually a little lower FG than I was anticipating.

I basically pitched half a yeast cake from a previous batch and added 5 teaspoons of fermax yeast nutrient. Also I think doing one mash at a higher temp and one lower helped as well.

Latest posts

Back