My newb mistake - a warning.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htc

Reaction score
I have a batch of brew in just coming out of the attenuative phase, as noted by a decrease in airlock activity, and I thought it was prime time to add some flavorings. I wanted this particular brew to have a hint of berry. To increase the surface area of my addition I took it upon myself to turn it into a puree with the handy dandy blender, seemed like a good idea.

Something worth noting - throughout fermentation carbon dioxide isn't just produced by the yeast and exhaled out the lock, it gets dissolved into solution just like when you carb your beer in a bottle or keg.

When solids are introduced into a carbonated (even a slightly carbonated) beverage, it gives some of that dissolved CO2 a place to accumulate and form a bubble... When you puree a bunch of cherries and strawberries, you basically turn a small amount of solids into a whole bunch of solids able to free up a whole bunch of bubbles. Catch my drift? And me without a blowoff tube.

Perhaps I could have waited until airlock activity slowed even further...
Perhaps I could have shaken the ever living carb out of solution...
Perhaps I could have left the fruit whole...

Instead, I'm gonna have to get the mop... and a beer. Consider ye' warned. :D

As a Reinheitsgebot purist, I'd almost say that's what you get when you add fruit to beer, but I won't. :D

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like what happens when you drop a Mento into a 2 liter bottle of diet coke.

Lots of nucleation points by dropping in the fruit puree, huh? :D

Homebrewers are the only people I know who aren't surprised to have to mop their ceilings. :p

Put puree in sanitized carboy, rack from the primary over to the puree.

M_C

I didn't have a spare carboy, but I doubt I would have thought of that even if I did. Good advice.

Sorry, I don't like to visually document my epic failures. So that's a negative on the pics.

Nucleation points! That's what they're called! I knew it was something like that, I was just too far off for google to figure it out. Thanks Yoop!

Reinheitsgebot - BOO! :p

I spit in the Reinheitsgebots general direction.

Yes, that is me adding Spices, Peel, Honey, Fruit, Bark, Roots and Flowers to my boil.

Back