My new "modified" home bar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-SSV

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to obtain a new bar for the living room a few weeks ago (fortunate enough to talk my wife into it :D ). The bar itself is great, but it was in need of a kegerator. There really wasn't much room for a fridge, so I bought a small one from Wal-mart and decided to go with 2.5 gallon kegs that fit inside the fridge with no modifications to the fridge. I'm actually looking forward to brewing smaller batches for a couple of reasons. For one, I'm pretty much the only beer drinker in the household, so there's no need for large batches. Secondly, smaller batches mean quicker turnover, which means brewing more often and more variety.

The biggest challenge in making this work was finding a way to not make the fridge look like it was sticking out so much. Originally in the center of the front bar was wine storage. I removed the wine racks and shelving and used them to fabricate panels to house the mini fridge. In the photos the top piece needs some more stain or trim molding, but honestly you really can't even notice it when looking at the bar in person because it's pretty dark where the bar is located. The camera flash really highlights that the top panel does not have finished edges. I'll resolve that down the road.

My mini fridge thermostat didn't seem to work right, as it would run the fridge non-stop, dropping the temps down into the 20's. Therefore, I added a STC-1000 controller to keep the temps where I want them. I also notice in the photos that my wiring is showing behind the false panel I made, so I'll have to tidy that up as well.

So far, so good, and the best part is that my homebrew is at my fingertips in my living room whenever I need a pint! :rockin:

IMG_4588.jpg

IMG_4590.jpg

IMG_4591.jpg

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4594.jpg

I love my bar, but it needed some light, so I made a little light box. It's just a simple wood box with a piece of glass on top. I placed a small fluorescent light fixture inside. When turned on, the liquor bottles glow. Below are a couple of pics. My photography skills aren't the best when taking pitures in the dark, but you can get the idea.

DSCF5108.jpg

DSCF5107.jpg

No, I'm a case good buyer for a furniture company. This was a sample that I was able to buy. All 3 pieces ( front bar, server, hutch) cost me $150 ( a perk of working in the furniture industry :) ).

The front bar will retail for $599 and the back bar (server and hutch) will retail for $799. Of course, the draft tower and kegerator do not come with it. I added those myself.

Wow, thats looks really nice man. Ive got a similar project Im going to be working on if the weather ever warms up...no heat in the garage :D
I got a huge dark cherry Broyhill TV Armoire, that Im going to re-purpose into a stand alone wet bar. I'm wanting to integrate this wine cooler/keg cooler I have, wine rack, draft tower, and glass collection into a really nice display. Ive got ideas in my head (dangerous I know). Hope it turns out well. Ill be sure to document to the forums! Anyways, good on you! Nice setup!

Very nice. For $150, beyond nice. If my memory is correct, I dropped a good $3,000 on my bar. That was 9 years ago...three kids and two dogs ago.

Looks pretty classy!

Make sure that fridge has some breathing room on it's top and sides though, or it could blow the compressor at some point. Typical mini-fridges need 2-3 inches of airspace on all sides, back and top, to dissipate the hot-side coils that are just under the metal skin.

Looks pretty classy!

Make sure that fridge has some breathing room on it's top and sides though, or it could blow the compressor at some point. Typical mini-fridges need 2-3 inches of airspace on all sides, back and top, to dissipate the hot-side coils that are just under the metal skin.

There's about 2" on the sides and about 4-5" in the back, as well as 1-2" on the top.

Back