My most awesome fermentation ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inamays

Reaction score
Did a yeast starter Saturday of WLP004 and let it churn for ~24 hours on the stir plate. The starter turned a nice light brown so I knew I had some pretty healthy yeast swimming around in there.

I brewed my black ipa yesterday and it came in at around 1.053. I pitched my yeast and within an hour I had about a 1 inch krausen. within three hours, I had blown the airlock and had to install a blowoff tube.

In about 20 batches, I've never had a fermentation so active and rapid as this one. I'll be doing starters from now on!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qtino0f48iwwogz/Video Sep 02, 10 16 32 PM.mov

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. Starters are the way to go. Every single time I use liquid yeast I make an appropriate sized starter.

Looks great! :mug:

"But...but...but...I never make a starter and my beer turns out great! Besides, Wyeast says you don't need one up to 1.060."

osagedr said:
"But...but...but...I never make a starter and my beer turns out great! Besides, Wyeast says you don't need one up to 1.060."

Yes, and I anticipated this beer being >1.060. Didn't get there though. :)

Are you sure you didn't overpitch? I could imagine that, depending on your starter size, you could have pitched 2x-3x or more of the recommended cells based on yeastcalc / Mr malty.

And I'm not so sure that a short lag phase is necessarily a good thing.

Just food for thought. I'm sure the beer will turn out fine.

If you only had the starter going for 24 hours, chances are you didn't over pitch. What you did do is pitch healthy active yeast that were awake and ready to eat. Good Job!

SpeedYellow said:
Are you sure you didn't overpitch? I could imagine that, depending on your starter size, you could have pitched 2x-3x or more of the recommended cells based on yeastcalc / Mr malty.

/QUOTE]

Is there a such thing as over pitching? What are the effects? Over-attenuation? Off flavors? Clarity problems?

Back