My Kal (in-a-toolbox) clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocolateMaltyBalls

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I’ve been brewing all grain for a few years with a basic round cooler MLT and turkey fryer setup. By last summer I was starting to get bored with my setup and occasionally frustrated trying to hit the right temps. So I started lurking in the electric forum and spending way too much time at TheElectricBrewery.com.

Initially, I was planning on a hybrid system with a simple electric HLT and pretty much use the same process as before. However the more I look into it the more sense it made to just go all electric. For 5 gallon batches a 240V 5500W element seemed the way to go, and if I’m going to put in a dedicated 240V 30A outlet I might as well drop propane all together. By the end of the slippery slope I reached the E-HERMS Kal Clone.

It took me about four months to figure out the kind of process I wanted, to research HERMS thoroughly, and to finally start pricing and buying components (only took a month to build). IMO this is not something to build partway if you know where you want to go. This type of system is time consuming and expensive to build, I know I only wanted to do it once. I need a setup that I could break down since my brew area is outdoors (under my car port) so I went the tool box route for my control panel and pump/ plate chiller housing. I got a lot of inspiration from this forum especially from OrangeHero and Boerderij_Kabouter

Here are three key points I learned:
1) Figure out your process first, don’t buy a single thing until you have considered every detail of how you want to brew
2) Use whatever wiring scheme you want, but GFCI protection is absolute
3) Get the right tool for the job, and most of them can come from harbor freight, but sometimes you have to spend a little more to get it done right.

Thanks again to everyone who contributes to this forum, and if you’re still reading this here are some pictures….

Beautiful setup. I didn't know it was possible to fit that much stuff in the toolboxes. Would love a picture of the inside.

Yes very nice! I see you have the same hop strainer as I use how you you like it? I love mine but with I sprung for the taller one so more is submerged on a 5 gallon batch.
Are you considering a herms or rims system at this point? I currently use a herms system in my almost otherwise identical system to yours. But the "dirt cheap rims unit thread has peaked my interest and I bought a cartridge heater to make one and see how it works out. That way I can see which setup best suites me. plus I can run a 1000w element at the same time as my 4500w setup with one 30a line.

Beautiful setup. I didn't know it was possible to fit that much stuff in the toolboxes. Would love a picture of the inside.

I cut down the metal tray to mount the internals

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390400782.781988.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390400854.435911.jpg

Yes very nice! I see you have the same hop strainer as I use how you you like it? I love mine but with I sprung for the taller one so more is submerged on a 5 gallon batch.
Are you considering a herms or rims system at this point? I currently use a herms system in my almost otherwise identical system to yours. But the "dirt cheap rims unit thread has peaked my interest and I bought a cartridge heater to make one and see how it works out. That way I can see which setup best suites me. plus I can run a 1000w element at the same time as my 4500w setup with one 30a line.

I really like Chad's strainer (thanks Marcb https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-way-control-pellet-hop-gunk-352293/). My pot is 15" deep and with the 11" strainer it's still covered at 5gal, less than 5gal may be a problem.

I'm using a HERMS system, but it would be easy to plug in a RIMS element if I ever decided to go that way.

Wow, that is a lot in a small space. I thought that I did not have a lot of room when I did mine with the same size tool box but a lot less components. Well done sir, well done!

Wow, that is a lot in a small space. I thought that I did not have a lot of room when I did mine with the same size tool box but a lot less components. Well done sir, well done!

Thanks! That's a fine looking toolbox as well. I think the key was the hip-roof, putting the PIDs at an angle saved a lot of space. Of course it was still a pain when I dropped something small inside, there's probably still a few loose crimp-on spade terminals rolling around in it.

Overall I really dig the toolbox enclosure, it's definitely not NEMA certified, but it is cheaper and more portable.

Excellent work! I might have tried to find a heat sink where the fins could be oriented vertically, but I am picking nits. 99.99% awesome! :p

I'm generally a function over form kind of guy. So I guess it's a little ironic that I decided to go with the toolbox pump housing from the start, without really considering some of the potential draw backs. After a few brews that toolbox proved to be a real PITA.

I got a really big box thinking I wouldn't have to put in a vent. Well those little pumps put out a lot of heat so I had to prop open the lid to keep from overheating. I could have put in a vent and fan, but the biggest issue was how large and unwieldy the thing was, especially when putting it in the brew closet for storage. It looked really cool though.

So I turned the toolbox back to its intended purpose and built a pump and chiller caddy. I used some spare poplar and a radio shack project box along with all the guts from the old toolbox. I went quick so it's not a work of art (or all that square), but it's solid and serves its purpose. I consider this caddy v1.0, time will tell if there's a v2.0.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397412386.997895.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397412406.021690.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397412438.931167.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

1) Figure out your process first, don’t buy a single thing until you have considered every detail of how you want to brew
+1000 to that! There are lot of different way to make beer so the best parts for one person's setup doesn't mean it'll work for everyone else.

Thanks for sharing!

Kal

Good work, everything looks neat and well-thought-out. That looks like a pretty roomy toolbox to me.

Back