My future Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtie

Reaction score
My broski works at a furniture store and got this bad boy on the freebie. I gave him a little money for his trouble and helping me move it. The people who had it got rid of it because the ice maker quit working lol. Their lose my gain I guess. I've already been putting together an external temp controller here at work. And just think, I was on the verge of giving 60 bucks for a small dorm fridge.

image-1756761012.jpg

jtsims21 said:
why do you need a temp controller for that?

Well it will probably be a little bit before my kegerator dreams come true so until then it will probably be a controlled environment for my fermenters. But yeah I can buy an ice maker kit and hook it up in just a few mins. I guess the people that got rid of it was just ready to upgrade.

Just alet thought:
Why would someone get rid of a fridge just because the ice maker broke? Why not replace the ice maker?
Are you sure its not haunted?

jpietraski said:
Just alet thought:
Why would someone get rid of a fridge just because the ice maker broke? Why not replace the ice maker?
Are you sure its not haunted?

Haha i hope not. Well I guess they wanted something newer. My brother gets stuff like that all the time where he works. He gave me a Brand new King sized pillow top mattress that they were going to throw away from storage at their store. It was about a $700 mattress. People around here are lazy and don't want mess with getting rid of it do they just gave it to him. I guess we will find out I it haunted when it's storing my first batch.

Nice find, free equipment is always awesome! (even though you did pay him, but I'm sure the amount that you paid is far less than what it's worth)

why do you need a temp controller for that? ... if you just use its controller you can still make ice! and freeze hopps!

It depends on how good it operates. I have a temp controller in mine. My refrigerator at the VERY warmest setting (just a hair before the knob shut the refrigerator off) would hover around 35 +/- 5 degrees. I had some issues with freezing and the beer was way too cold for me. With the temp controller, I know keep it at 45 +/- 1 degree. My freezer still works fine as well. The way the refrigerator is set up, all the cold air is produced in the freezer and the freezer has a small vent going down into the refrigerator. The freezer gets more-than-cold enough for proper freezing, and the refrigerator is kept at exactly where I want it.

beninan said:
Nice find, free equipment is always awesome! (even though you did pay him, but I'm sure the amount that you paid is far less than what it's worth)

It depends on how good it operates. I have a temp controller in mine. My refrigerator at the VERY warmest setting (just a hair before the knob shut the refrigerator off) would hover around 35 +/- 5 degrees. I had some issues with freezing and the beer was way too cold for me. With the temp controller, I know keep it at 45 +/- 1 degree. My freezer still works fine as well. The way the refrigerator is set up, all the cold air is produced in the freezer and the freezer has a small vent going down into the refrigerator. The freezer gets more-than-cold enough for proper freezing, and the refrigerator is kept at exactly where I want it.

I pretty much payed him for his trouble of hauling it around and using his gas to bring it to me. But yeah far less than its worth. It will probably be fine to store my beer in. I like my beer as cold as possible but I don't like to chew it lol. I can build one cheap being as that I work at a hardware store so why not.

Back