My Free (is relative) brew stand!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyerwire

Reaction score
So i had a friend over one day when i was brewing and he saw my ghetto gravity set up and laughed. I explained to him how i can't afford a fancy schmancy stand and showed him a few of them out there. Well fast forward a week or two and he asks me for some dimensions, he has scrap and will make me if i give him a batch once in a while... no problem!

Well here is the "scrap" metal 2-tier brew stand!

P1000178.JPG

P1000180.JPG

P1000179.JPG

the burner heights are adjustable, the bolts dont look like much but i can stand on the burners (and i weigh 270) and they dont give.

The "relative" for the free part is that it was probably the most expensive free thing i ever got, since i bought the 2 burners, needed a new HLT (was just using another cooler before) and fittings, the pump and fittings and other misc things.

the only thing left is to make a wind shroud for the banjo burners, but all works well. Have only had the chance to run a test run through it and no full brew, thats planned for this week. I'm sure i'll mess up the first brew, so i'll chock it up to working the bugs out!

ha, pays to know someone who has an inability to sit down and must always be making something... and likes beer.

It's like zymurgy Junk Yard Wars! My only concern is it looks like there is some aluminum square tube around the burners. It may get hot enough under there to melt that square tube. Otherwise, your buddy did you a solid! Keep him thick in homebrew and he just may make you a grain mill next.;):D

it is aluminum, we will have to see, i ran it for a few hours and no issues to report (he was welding around it too without issues)... it does do a really good job of keeping the heat off of the stand (i can touch the steel around the burner and it wont burn me)

i did tell him that he opened a can of worms by being so willing to do something for some beer. I have a mill and he was working out a way to make a table for it... I wont tell the guy no, while i can't weld, i can do wood working to an extent... but who am i to complain? I'll gladly brew up 10gal batches when he needs a refill

You can't beat that deal with a stick. The first picture I saw the aluminum panel on the drop down area between the upper and lower level and thought you had added something like an aluminum car radiator and was thinking, that would be an awesome way to cool some wort down...then I saw the next picture and realized my mind was playing tricks on me.

That's pretty cool.

Seeing how he used round tubing & Urbine Bros. lightweight gussets - I'm guessing your friend builds racecars.

I like the adjustable height on the kettle stands & the heat shields - nice touches.

That's pretty cool.

Seeing how he used round tubing & Urbine Bros. lightweight gussets - I'm guessing your friend builds racecars.

I like the adjustable height on the kettle stands & the heat shields - nice touches.

a lot of car work, a lot of jeep rebuilding, outfitting and anything else he can get his hands on, i have no idea what he has laying around for scrap, but its definitely stronger then i'd need it to be. The aluminum pieces that are there to deflect heat (keeps my filter nice and cool, etc) i think are from window guides/framing... definitely works.

Back