My first recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratbastrd05

Reaction score
So far I've brewed three extract kit batches (3rd in primary as we speak) and have already been getting the itch to break out of the kit mold and make my own recipe. I've settled on doing a easy-drinking pale ale.

What I've come up with:

4 lbs light dry extract
3.3 lbs pale liquid extract
8oz crystal malt 60L (specialty grains, steeping)
1 lb cara-pils (specialty grains, steeping)

Hops:
1 oz falconer's flights 60 min
1 oz nelson sauvin 10 min
2 oz cascade - dry hop

Additional
1 oz bitter orange peel

Yeast - US-05 dry yeast

Basically, I threw together some basic specialty grains to give it a bit more color/body. The hops I already had on hand, but seem logical to me. Considered moving 1oz of cascade to 10 minutes and the Nelson to dry hopping? Beersmith puts it almost out of style for an American pale ale on bitterness and ABV, but I love hoppy bitterness so not a huge concern.

The bitter orange peel I'm adding because I just had a blood orange IPA from Elysian that was pretty damn good. I'm not going for anything Blue-Moon-esque!

Thoughts - any glaring problems?

I like it, well- except for the orange peel. But I'm weird that way and don't like fruit in my beers.

I'd probably just change the hopping slightly:

.75-1 oz bittering hops (depending on the AAUs) 60 minutes
1 oz flavor hops 15 minutes
1 oz aroma hops 0 minutes
dryhop 1 oz 7 days

Ditto what Yooper said, only I do like the orange. A little sweet to balance the bitter of the hops. Otherwise looks like a solid recipe!

Back