My first on the spot energency blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibiore

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post.

Earlier today I got a call saying "your beer exploded." An awful thing to hear, especially since its the second time ive heard it, and this is is my third ever beer.

I had to dump it the first time it happened, but I got home to find it wasn't horribly overflowing and my dad has re closed the lid. The airlock was clogged tight. My fault, I stuck it in too deep I think.

I grabbed my bottling tube and stuck it in a gallon jug of water. Sanitized both by filling it with starsan and putting the whole tube in, then stuck poured out most of the water leaving a bit less than half in the jug. Put the other end in the filter hold and let it roll.

I actually got the idea from a post on this forum from someone who had the same thing happen.

I guess I'm officially a homebrewer!!

Way I figure it, there's so much yeast and co2 that any bacteria that found their way in are in for a fight to take hold. If the beer ends up tasting bad ill dump it. But until then I'll pray to the beer gods.

Now I'll relax and have a home brew:)

Ps. I think blow off tubes should be the standard instead of exception/alternative.

Oh yeah forgot to say, thanks guys, I got the idea from you and may have saved my beer!

Anytime I do a batch over 1.04 I use a blow off tube the first 36 hours. It can become standard procedure if you choose it to be :)

Yeah both my explosions were for pretty high gravity brews.

The blow off tube was a success, I was debating switching out to an air lock now that it's settled a bit but I've already had enough contamination risks so I think I'll leave it be

I wouldn't be too worried. These things happen and people still end up making beer. You might want the airlock if you need to move the primary for bottling purposes.

Back