My first infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
well, after 20 or so brews I got my first infection. luckily it was ONLY the starter. I did a starter using some 3711 Wyeast from last summer that I washed and low and behold it started getting a couple of large bubbles that looked very "soapy" and the whole top was covered in a soapy white film that was clinging to the sides. glad I caught it BEFORE it went in the beer. only 24 hours in before I noticed it... unfortunately it really was BARELY rousing the yeast and there was minimal off gassing so the yeast may have been mostly kaput anyways.

slightly disappointing that my 100% winning streak was broken with this starter... there goes my pride. I'm pretty damn sure that my washing process was good cuz the liquid from the mason jar tasted fine after all these months and months. I can only guess that I didn't sanitize something properly like the mason jar or the foil. Now I've got to lug myself 40 minutes away to the only brew shop in tow that sells 3711 :(

EDIT: I double checked and the yeast was harvested March of 2013... so and that probably contributed to the poor rousing starter anyways.

lucky indeed! I recently started playing around with washing wlp001 California ale yeast. The last couple starters I made (for fun, only one was used in a brew) smelled sour, a very odd odor that ive never smelled from fermentation. Starter looked and tasted fine. I did alittle research and apparently it isnt uncommon for this strain to have a "sour" scent. I too have been lucky with no infections as of yet (fingers crossed). Glad to hear everything worked out and you were able to catch the problem in time.

lucky indeed! I recently started playing around with washing wlp001 California ale yeast. The last couple starters I made (for fun, only one was used in a brew) smelled sour, a very odd odor that ive never smelled from fermentation. Starter looked and tasted fine. I did alittle research and apparently it isnt uncommon for this strain to have a "sour" scent. I too have been lucky with no infections as of yet (fingers crossed). Glad to hear everything worked out and you were able to catch the problem in time.

yeah, wlp0001 has a funky sour note to it when I wash mine. I'm a cheap ass so I ALWAYS wash and re-use yeasts. especially liquid and I've had incredible luck up till now. I'm just glad it got caught before I ruined a $42 Saison (that $42 was WITHOUT buying any yeast since I still had those mason jars in the fridge). I mean it tasted fine, but that white slimy looking film on top just made me a bit too nervous to test my luck. I'd rather waste $7.99 on a smack pack of 3711 from the brew shop than roll that dice.

You boil your mason jars or sanitize? Ive been boiling mine, taking them out and letting them cool on the counter with sanitized foil on top.

You boil your mason jars or sanitize? Ive been boiling mine, taking them out and letting them cool on the counter with sanitized foil on top.

for the starter or washing of yeast? for both I wash, then soak in my starsan or iodophor and then pour in. this time for the starter I just boiled the giant mason jar for my starter, soaked in iodophor then covered in foil (that was soaked in sanitizer too). I'm wondering if just boiling the jar screwed up my process or something shrug

I suppose you'll probably never know, boiling as well as sanitizing.. what more do the beer gods want :) It will be awhile until i start continually making beer with washed yeast. Im still trying to get a good procedure down. Its worth the light at the end of the tunnel, being able to use a yeast strain at least 10 generations under the right handling is a huge cost saver which defiantly appeals to me too... another reason im trying to gather materials to switch to AG

Back