My first brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingPrepper

Reaction score
Hey everyone I thought I would post a detailed story about my first brew. :rockin:

I drink alot of IPA because its got a high alcohol content for the beer available at the local stores. So I decided to brew an IPA for my first brew. I debated on buying my kit online but instead I went to a local brew store. Idk if that was the wisest choice but such is life. I picked up there starter kit and after an extremely long tutorial I headed home. The next morning me and my girl got started.

My kit ingredients list for 7.3% 100 IBU IPA
2 3.3 lb cans Briess golden light LME
1 3.3 lb Cans Muntons light LME
1.25 lb of specialty grains
1 oz of warrior
1 oz Columbus
1 oz of Cascade
1 oz of Galaxy
2 packs of Safale yeast

We steeped our grains for 40 mins trying to maintain temps between 145 and 160 in distilled water. I noticed temps got kind of high for few mins but we were able to bring them down within a few mins. I hope alot of tannins were not released as a result. We then stirred in 9.9 lbs of extract and added 3 gal of distilled water. We then brought to a boil and made sure to not allow a boilover. After the hot break we started the 60 min timer and added our warrior hops. 40 mins later we added the columbus . After we turned off the heat we added our cascade and galaxy hopsand let steep for 20 mins. We then put in ice bath and got temps down to 65 degrees pretty quickly. We had put 2 gal in freezer to add to wort once boil was over. This brought temps down quickly. OG was 1.072 maybe a little higher but foam made it hard to get exact reading. We siphoned wort to fermenter using spray wort aerator and added 2 packets of yeast sprinkled evenly. I think next time I prolly wont use the aerator but use strainer and dump back and forth a few times. Began to see fermentation in approximately 6 hours. As fermentation continued temps went to a max of 70 degrees even though ambient was a few degrees lower. The sweet smell is incredible. After approximately 4 days bubbles stopped in the airlock and temps have hovered between 68-66 degrees. We are going on our 10th day fermenting and will try to wait a full 3 weeks until bottling. However as time goes on I want to bottle more at 2 weeks...Im getting excited:fro:. Until then we have been emptying bottles to be able to fill with our sweet nectar. As bottling day approaches i will update you guys on how the process is going. So far I have resisted the urge to look in the fermenter to check on the process. I dont wanna contaminate the brew.

Please feel free to comment on anything I may have done differently. I look forward to hearing from you guys!:tank:

Looks like you did everything the way you are supposed to. My first brew was and all Warrior IPA but I used California Ale Liquid yeast.

Brewing takes a lot of patience and the longer you wait the better the final product will be.

Here's a couple of tips for you:
1. When steeping grains put the kettle in the oven to maintain temp
2. At flameout stir in a circular motion to get all the trub in the middle of the pot to maximize the amount of wort

Congrats on the first of many brews

I was just curious if anyone will tell me why I shouldnt worry about tannins?

So tomorrow will be 2 weeks in Primary. I wanna bottle it so bad but Im gonna try to wait. Fermenting has been pretty stable at 68-66 degrees hopefully this is optimum temperature. I dont have a way to control it except by placing it in a designated space and letting it sit.

Anyway I am loving this forum lots of info and very entertaining!!

I too am on my first batch. I am doing an American style Pale Ale purchased as a kit from my LHBS. Many similarities in the process so i am assuming I am doing it right. I also used Safeale yeast. I found that at the beginning of fementation my carboy temp was between 69 and 71 degrees. Now that the more active part has subsided (exactly one week today) the temp sits between 67 and 69 degrees. I assume this is because as the yeast is most active it "cooks" for a lack of a better term. i dont even know what an aerator is at this point in my brewing. I just pored my wort directly into a 6.5 gallon fermentor then added the cooled water to achieve my 5.5 gallon volume. From there I aggresively poured through a funnel into my carboy and gave it a good shake and swirl. I had fermentation within 10 hours. So excited as well!

I figured I would post pics...

2687.jpg

2696.jpg

2718.jpg

2730.jpg

Ok so I got to the point I had to take a look...2 weeks in! Smelled amazing!

Just hoping the white stuff is normal and not mold or something...lemme know!

Resampled952013-01-069512-33-3295112.jpg

White stuff is fine. Every one of my brews has looked like that.

Back