My First Brew!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minjin

Reaction score
First off I would like to thank Homebrewtalk and all of its awesome members!!!
:mug:

Note to self:
Don't do your first brew session and invite all your friends....
3 people picking guitars and 10 others roaming about makes for a hectic
brewday. Add in grilling dinner for everyone and WOW!

But I made it and it seems to have went well.
I went with biermunchers Aberdeen ale (NewCastle Clone)
Original Gravity: 1.038 per BierMuncher - Mine was 1.044 so a little high
My efficiency was 76% if I calculated correctly and I did the math via palmer's guide.
I used a starter and my fermenter is bubbling away. I taped a digital temp probe to the outside of the fermentor and covered it with a piece of reflectix. Its in my basement at 69 degrees.

If the probe is covered from the outside is that a good temp reading for the internal wort? Or is there still a 10 degree difference because its fermenting?

The taste from the wort was very much like newcastle, although a little bitter. I assume that will dissapate with the ferm process?

I am hooked, :D:D:D:D:D

Congrats. Even my girlfriend in and out of the kitchen while I brew makes me nervous. Can't imagine having friends everywhere and cooking at the same time. Btw... I envy your location... I've been traveling there the past 3 years to hunt Wayne national.

I also forgot to aerate.....
I dumped my starter into the carboy then poured the wort in on top at a high flow rate to splash and hopefully introduce enough oxygen.

I also forgot to aerate.....
I dumped my starter into the carboy then poured the wort in on top at a high flow rate to splash and hopefully introduce enough oxygen.

When I first started brewing I didn't know I needed to aerate. Never had a problem. It certainly doesn't hurt obviously but I wouldn't sweat it. Especially if your yeast is active. If I'm not mistaken aeration is intended to give the yeast a good start but once the yeast starts making CO2 it doesn't matter anyway. In other words it is done to prevent a lag in yeast activity at the beginning.

After 2 days of active fermentation I came home this afternoon and the krausen seems to have fallen. Is that normal? The airlock is still pretty active.

Minjin said:
After 2 days of active fermentation I came home this afternoon and the krausen seems to have fallen. Is that normal? The airlock is still pretty active.

Totally normal but don't jump the gun. Give the beer 2 weeks and then start taking gravity readings over the course of 2-3 days. If the readings remain unchanged you can bottle/ keg

Back